Wow! The last few weeks have been a whirlwind! The Monday after we got here, I had an interview at a school called Stories Creek. This school seemed perfect for me. It’s about 5 minutes from our house and most of the children that go to Theresa Baptist attend this school. So, I went in for the interview and thought it went ok. It was a little intimidating because this was my first true interview and I had to interview with the principal and about 5 or 6 teachers. Several days later, I heard back from the school and I did not get the position. I was highly disappointed to say the least. At this point, Lee and I began to stress.
During this time, I was reading about the life of Sarah in my Women of the Bible book. Most of you know this story. Sarah was the wife of Abraham. Abraham was called by God to leave his home and travel to a new land. Shortly after arriving in the new land, there was a famine. So, Abraham had to take his family to Egypt. The question was why would God call Abraham and his family away from their home into a new place and then cause a famine in their new home. This story seemed to parallel my own life. God called Lee and I to move to North Carolina so that Lee could complete his seminary education. Then, he called us to live in Roxboro to serve at Theresa Baptist Church and be a part of this community. He called us here yet did not provide the job for me at Stories Creek. My first reaction was to question God-why would He bring us here and then not provide me a job? He knows I need a job. After reading about Sarah and Abraham, I realized that my reaction was not having faith that God was going to provide for us. He did know I needed a job and He did call us to live in Roxboro, so He was going to provide for us. I began to have more faith and not to stress. Lee and I just continued to send out resumes and make contacts. That was all we could do. The rest was up to God.
During the next week, I had an interview at a preschool and an interview at a school near the seminary. Both of these places were about an hour away. Then, the craziness began on Friday. Person County’s budget was released and several schools had money to hire more teachers. In all, there were 5 positions available in Person County. On Friday morning, the principal from Woodland called me to set up an interview. I had that interview the following Monday. I also scheduled two more interviews with two other schools in the county. The interview at Woodland went well. I was more prepared for it than I had been before. I felt comfortable and confidant. After the interview, the principal took me on a tour or the school. This was a good sign. Then came the hard part-the wait.
Waiting to hear back from an interview is stressful. You want to be hopeful that you got the job, but you don’t want to get your hopes up only to be disappointed. My other two interviews in the county were scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. On Monday, the school near the seminary that I had interviewed at called and offered me their position. This was a difficult situation. I didn’t want to turn down a position, but I was hopeful that a position in the county would come available. This was a true test of my faith.
Once again, my life was paralleling Sarah’s. During Abraham’s life, God promised him a son. Both Abraham and Sarah doubted this because they were so old. Sarah decided to take matters into her own hands and offered her servant to her husband to give him a child. Neither Sarah nor Abraham trusted God to fulfill His promise. The results of their decision are still evident today. I worried that accepting the job near the seminary would be “taking matters into my own hands” and I would not be trusting God to provide me a job closer to home. So, I turned down the job offer.
Late Tuesday morning, the principal at Woodland called me to ask some questions about my references. This was more good news. He was contacting my references. About an hour later, he called back to offer me the job. I was thrilled. I had heard so many good things about this school and it was also about 5 minutes from our house. I accepted and began calling everyone with the good news. I went to the central office to sign some papers on Tuesday afternoon.
I began work on Wednesday. We were in a faculty meeting all morning and then I was able to work in my classroom that afternoon. Everyone at the school has been so helpful. I also worked in my classroom on Thursday and Friday. Saturday I went to two teacher stores to try and get enough supplies to get me started. I will be able to work in my classroom Monday afternoon (we have another faculty meeting that morning) and hopefully all day Tuesday. School starts on Wednesday. I will be teaching 2nd grade. Hopefully, I will be able to post pictures of my classroom on my next blog.
God knew the best place for me to be. He had this plan for me all along. How silly it was of me to doubt Him. God’s timing is so different from our timing. I just hope that I will remember this time in my life when I face another trial.
“And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:19
~Mrs. Hall (2nd grade teacher)~
No comments:
Post a Comment