Blogging tips

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Latest Creations

I am so ready to be more settled in (SOON) so I can do some crafty Christmas stuff. I LOVE Christmas time and I LOVE crafts. I’m also looking forward to all the baking I get to do at Christmas time. I also LOVE to bake. I have had time to do a little bit of it, though.
I made a cute appreciation gift with my class for Cafeteria Workers Appreciation Week. Each class had to make something and give it to the cafeteria workers on a certain day. I gave each student a baking cup…I don’t know what they’re called-it’s the thing you make cupcakes in. The kids wrote a nice note to the cafeteria workers and decorated it. Then, I hot-glued them on a green pipe cleaner and arranged them in a basket with fake grass. So, it looks like a flower arrangement. I thought it turned out very cute and I got lots of compliments on it.


At school, they also had a bake sale for Relay for Life. I decided to help out by baking something. I had a box of Devil’s Food Cake mix with a recipe on the back for Whoopie Pies. I decided to try it out. I didn’t actually eat one myself, but I got a lot of compliments on them and people said they tasted very good. Here’s the recipe:

Whoopie Pies
Cake:
1 box of Devil’s Food Cake
½ cup of oil
3 eggs
¾ cup of water

1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ
2. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
3. Beat cake mix, eggs, water, and oil on medium speed for 2 minutes
4. Drop batter onto cookie sheet and spread in 2” circles
5. Bake 7-9 minutes
6. Cool completely

Cream Filling:
1 container of cream cheese
1 container of vanilla frosting

1. Soften cream cheese
2. Beat cream cheese and frosting until light and fluffy
3. Spoon onto center of a cake and then top with another cake
4. Press two cakes together to spread filling.
5. Chill in the refrigerator to harden


Lee’s favorite cake/cupcakes are yellow cake with chocolate icing. This is usually what I make him for his birthday or special occasions. However, I always make it out of the box mix and can frosting. So, I decided to try making one from scratch. With Lee’s parents coming to visit this weekend, it seemed like the perfect time for homemade cake. I successfully made both the cake and the icing from scratch. I haven’t tasted the cake yet, but I did lick the icing off my fingers and spatula …and let me tell you…it tastes FINE! I just hope the whole thing tastes as good.


So, I’m glad I’ve been able to have somewhat of an outlet to do something I enjoy. I look forward to sharing more of my craftiness and baking as it gets closer and closer to the best time of the year!! I also hope to completely finish my classroom bulletin boards soon and post them on here. My cricut has been VERY helpful in my classroom.

Until next time,
Meggie Homemaker

1 comment:

Dixiecowgirl0612 said...

Megan, I love the idea of the “flower arrangement”! That was the cutest idea ever! I love it! I think my creativeness rubbed off on you a bit!!  Well miss you tons but am way excited about following you on your blog and finally being able to read them all! Ready for more post and pics! BTW whoopie pies are AWESOME!! Love you tons, take care, and ROLL TIDE!!