Blogging tips

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My 9-5: A Total Social Link Up

So, I'm kind of late to this party, but I thought this was a really neat idea for a post and I didn't want to miss out.

Helene in Between

I'm a 4th grade teacher at a year round school and I'm currently tracked out. So, I won't describe to you what I'm up to right now (a lot of reading, Pinteresting, and napping). Instead, I'll describe what a typical day is like when I'm at work. 

We all went to school, so I'm sure most people think they know what a teacher does. First of all, school has changed a lot since I (and probably you) were in school. Secondly, there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff that takes place that we don't get to see as students or you might not see as a parent. 

Before I tell you about my day, here are a few things to know about a multi track year round school:
-Things are constantly changing. People rotate in and out every 3 weeks.
-You don't stay in the same classroom all year long. So, most of us don't do much decorating and we have generic stuff that stays in each classroom.
-Specialist teachers (art, music, PE, etc.) and intervention teachers are sometimes on break or having work days while you're in school. If your specialist for that day is not there, you don't get a break!

 
A Typical Day:

7:30-8:45- I usually arrive anywhere between this time. It depends on what all I need to get done before school starts. If it's Tuesday, I'll be there by 7:45, because we have meetings every Tuesday morning. When I arrive, I may make copies, plan, prepare supplies, do paperwork, or attend a meeting (IEP, SST, 504, parent/teacher, grade level, etc.)

8:45-9:30- This is the time when the students start arriving. I'm supposed to stand at the door and greet them and I try to most days. Some days, I didn't manage to finish everything I needed to do and I'm still rushing around trying to prepare. The students work on morning work during this time and we have school wide announcements, pledge, and Boostfit to start our day. During this time, I try to check my email and take attendance.

9:30-10:45- We get our day started with math. We do our math lesson (although I often run over this time because there's so much to try and teach). 

10:45-11:10- What we do during this time varies. Sometimes, we work on writing. Other times, I go ahead and do a short literacy lesson. On days when math is taking longer than usual, we may even finish our math lesson during this time. 

11:10-11:40- I take my class outside for recess where I stand in boredom and watch them play unless it's a lucky day when another teacher is near me and we can talk a little while (we have different playgrounds that we rotate the use of each day). 

11:40-12:10- I drop the students off at lunch (luckily we have teacher's assistants who watch our kids at lunch). Then, I rush around trying to refill my water bottle, make quick copies (if they're needed that afternoon and I didn't have time that morning to make them), grab my lunch and heat it up (if needed), and finally sit down and scarf down the lunch so I won't be late to pick up my class. I do get in a little bit of socializing time with the other 4th grade teachers since we all eat together. 

12:10-12:45- I pick my class up, we make a pit stop at the restrooms, then we go back in the classroom where my class reads silently while I conference with different students about their reading.

12:45-1:00- During this time we might work on writing or do a literacy lesson or a read aloud.

1:00-2:00- This is reading centers time. The students rotate around to different literacy related activities while I meet with small groups of students. 

2:00-2:45- Depending on what week it is this is either science or social studies time. 

2:45-3:35- My students have about 5 minutes to pack up and clean the room. Then, the line up to go to one of 5 specials (art, music, PE, cultural enrichment, or computer lab). I take them to their special. Then, I often have a meeting to attend. If I don't have a meeting, I usually spend this time making copies (which pretty much takes the whole time) or meeting with my 4th grade team to discuss ideas. 

3:35-4:15- I pick my students up from their special and we go back to the classroom where they sit quietly, eat their snack, work on homework, and wait for their dismissal. If I'm lucky, all students will be gone by 4:15 (it doesn't always happen that way). During dismissal, I usually try to get some papers graded or paperwork done. 

 I try not to stay after school unless I'm super swamped (such as at the beginning of the year or around report card time). I usually have plenty I could stay and do, but I'm too tired to do it. Several times a year, I have to stay late for PTA meetings, Math & Science Night, Literacy Night, Eagle Fun Fest (our school carnival), etc. 


I'm trying to manage my time better so that I don't work at home, but too often my Sunday afternoons are spent planning and grading papers. 

 That's a glimpse of what my"9-5" looks like. What about you? Are you linking up?

2 comments:

Helene in Between said...

ah the life of a teacher! i love learning about this because it's so different for everyone! I really didn't know what it was like on a track- you've enlightened me for sure!

Kate @ Another Clean Slate said...

I love these kids of posts. Teachers always seem to have the best funny stories from their work days too!