Blogging tips

Monday, March 21, 2016

A Book Worm's Recommendations

It's no secret around here...I love to read. I also enjoying sharing books I love with others. I recently had a friend ask me for some recommendations, so I thought it would be easiest to just share my thoughts here. This post is mainly for her, but if anyone else is interested or looking for a few good books feel free to read on.


Nonfiction
I'll start my recommendations with a few of my favorite nonfiction books. These are all Christian nonfiction and have all had a big impact on my life. The last 3 I've mentioned many times before. The first two are the most recent that I've read. 

-Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World by Kristen Welch
Kristen blogs at We are THAT Family and I save almost all of her blog posts to my Pinterest. 
 
-When God Doesn't Fix It by Laura Story 
This book was just what I needed at this point in my life. My husband has a chronic illness that no one can really pinpoint the problem or fix. Laura Story is a Christian recording artist who wrote "Blessings." Shortly into their marriage, her husband had to have surgery to have a brain tumor removed. Over 10 years later, they're still living with the effects of this tumor and surgery.

-Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis

-Orphan Justice by Johnny Carr

-7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker

Historical Fiction
One of my favorite genres is historical fiction and I've read some great ones recently.

-The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
LOVED this one. It takes place in France during WWII and follows how the war affects 2 sisters.

-Garden of Stone by Sophie Littlefield  
This one also takes place during WWII and is full of mystery. 

-Salt to Sea by Ruta Sepetys
This is my most recent read. Like the other two, it takes place during WWII and follows 4 different young adults/teenagers as they are all running from something.

Liane Moriarty 
She's an author I really enjoy. Below I'm listing the books of hers that I've read in order starting with my favorite:


1. Big Little Lies
2. What Alice Forgot
3. Three Wishes
4. The Husband's Secret
5. The Hypnotist's Love Story

Jojo Moyes
Another author I like a lot. Below I'm listing the books of hers that I've read in order starting with my favorite:

1. Me Before You- One of my FAVES!!! Skip the second book-pretend it doesn't exist!
2. The Girl You Left Behind
3. One Plus One

Diane Chamberlain
This author is a native North Carolinian who I recently discovered. Below I'm listing the books of hers that I've read in order starting with my favorite:

1. Necessary Lies
2. The Good Father
3. The Midwive's Confession
4. The Silent Sister
5. The Courage Tree
6. Pretending to Dance

Children's Books (that adults can enjoy)

-Wonder by R.J. Palacio
This is such an important book. If I ever teach 5th grade or higher I will read this to my class!

-Rules by Cynthia Lord
An interesting book about children with disabilities.

-The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin 
A fun mystery.

Others
More books I would recommend that don't fit into any one category.

-The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley 
Thought provoking story about a family divided over what to do about a pregnant woman on life support.

-Celtic Brooch Series by Katherine Lowry Logan
There are currently 4 books published from this series. Each book is a time traveling romance. They are all interconnected. The only way I've been able to get these books is by buying the ebook version. Luckily, they don't cost too much.

-The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
Another thought provoking book about a baby caught between two families.  

-Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
A lot of people love this author's Eleanor and Park. Personally, I enjoyed this one more.

-A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison
A fiction story about a very real problem-human trafficking. 

-I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
A fun, silly romance. 

-Room by Emma Donoghue
I couldn't put this book down. It's been made into a movie. I recommend you read the book first. 

-Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
An interesting story about a mother whose daughter allegedly committed suicide. The mother doesn't believe this so she sets out to figure out what really happened.

-any book by Deeanne Gist 
I didn't pick out any or put them in any particular order. They're all very similar. Most of her stories are historical fiction romances. She's a Christian author, but her stories aren't cheesy like many Christian fiction authors stories can be. 

*  *  *

So, there's my recommendations for some of my favorite books I've read in the past few years. I'm also always looking for good recommendations if you have any for me.