Blogging tips

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Time Machine

I wrote this blog 2 years ago, but decided to revisit it for a new link up I found. Football games have been a big part of my life for many years. I have very fond memories involving football. 


Love, Fun & Fotball

I often think back fondly on memories I’ve made over the years. A certain song or movie will remind me of fun times with friends. Something will happen that reminds me of an inside joke I’ve shared. A picture or souvenir will remind me of a vacation I took. However, I try to be a person who lives in the present. I like to plan for the future without dwelling on it and I like to remember the past without living in it.

I can remember being so ready to graduate from high school. Over the years, I’ve had many friends say they wouldn’t go back to high school for anything. I don’t necessarily want to go back to high school either. I was definitely glad to leave classes and drama behind. On the other hand, there are some things about high school that I really do miss.


Most of those things that I miss revolve around being in band. My first 3 years in band were spent playing the clarinet and then my last 3 years were spent in color guard. Those are some of my fondest memories of high school. I met so many people and made so many great friends. The bus rides to away games were always eventful. I can remember passing around CD cases to see what CDs other people had that you wanted to borrow and sometimes we had bus-wide sing-alongs. Playing and cheering at football games was always fun and exciting-even when our team wasn’t doing very good. Performing at half time was always a rush.

 
Now that I’ve lived in and experienced a bigger city, I feel very blessed to have grown up in a small town. Back home, there was only one of each school (elementary, middle, and high). So from the time you started kindergarten, you were a Ram. School spirit was felt from kindergarten to 12th grade. Also, school spirit could be found throughout town. Everyone came to football games and parades. Homecoming was a community wide event. I miss that sense of school and community pride.


I was also lucky enough to get to experience color guard during my first year of college. I was a member of the SOUND OF THE SOUTH! (That's from Troy University in Alabama for those of you who aren't familiar.) That was also a great experience. How else would I have ever been able to perform at an FSU game and in the Louisiana Superdome? My favorite performance with the SOTS was at a band competition near my hometown. Performing in front of hundreds of high school band students who love the SOTS was an awesome feeling. Plus…my high school band was there.

The videos below are from the year I was in Troy's band. I am out there waving a flag somewhere.





Basically, I have very fond memories revolving around football. I miss going to football games and being a part of the whole experience.

If you had a time machine, what moment or moments from your past would you want to relive?

4 comments:

She's a big star said...

Awww, what great memories you have! So cool that you got to perform at an FSU game and at the Superdome... what an experience that must have been! Thanks so much for linking up!

Miranda said...

Oh my goodness, I was in colorguard too! I did all four years of high school, and a year of independent winterguard. I went to FSU and wanted to do Marching Chiefs so badly but it never worked out. Always awesome to come across someone who understands the art form! :)

Found you through Erin's linkup!

Miranda
youngprogress.blogspot.com

Erin LFF said...

I was in band 7th through 10th grade!!! :) Then I wanted to do band AND cheerleading and had to choose, so I dropped outta band. Don't judge me!! ;)

ALSO- I was a Ram too! How fun!! Thanks for linking up girl :)

Venus Trapped In Mars said...

TOO COOL!! I can't believe you were a member of sound of the south. Awesome!!