This past weekend Lee and I were trying to decide what to do. It seems like every weekend we consider going to the movies, but can’t find one worth seeing. Sometimes if there is a decent movie, it’s too “girly” for him or too “manly” for me.
These movie previews come on TV and make you want to see the movie. They make their movie look funny. They don’t let you know about all the unnecessary things they put in their movie to give it an R rating. I haven’t seen a comedy in a long time because all the new comedies are dirty (for a lack of a better word). There have been many movie previews that have looked good to me, but I’ve changed my mind when I read up on them.
Something that God has been working out in me over the past few years has been this idea of watching movies and other things. As Christians, we are called to live different from the world. There are obvious things that people think a Christian shouldn’t do, but people don’t often think about the kind of things they watch, look at, read, or listen to. What you put in your mind affects what comes out in your words and actions.
“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” Philippians 4:8
I have found that I personally feel better when I don’t pollute my mind with things of this world. Am I saying I’m perfect? No. Am I saying I never watch, read, or listen to something I shouldn’t? No. However, I am trying. I do check www.pluggedinonline.com before I go see or rent almost any movie. It is a great resource to tell you EVERYTHING negative you could possibly hear or see in a movie. It also tells you about TV shows, video games, and music.
I just wish some more people in Hollywood would make some decent movies. Most of the stuff that is in the movies to make them “bad” is completely unnecessary to the plot. Anyway, we ended up renting “Soul Surfer.”
No comments:
Post a Comment