Tuesday, September 11th 2001’s theme was “Blast from the Past.” Headland Middle School students were walking around in their best outfits mostly from the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s. We were all anxious for Friday’s game and for some of us-we were excited about our Homecoming dates.
I was sitting in my 8th grade science class with Ms. Richards. I sat in the back corner of the room. We were in the middle of our science lesson when the principal came into the room and said that the World Trade Center had been bombed. Then, she left. It seemed very random. I remember thinking to myself What’s the Word Trade Center? and Why did we need to know it was bombed? Doesn’t stuff get bombed all the time? Then, class continued as normal.
We had break after that class. Students who were dressed up went to the front of the school to have their picture taken. I remember I was not dressed up because I did not go to the front of the building. However, I also remember one of my friends who did go to the front of the building came back telling us what people were saying about the World Trade Center. I admit, she had me more scared about this. I was worried our country was going to be attacked in more places and I was scared something was going to happen to us.
The rest of the day went by in a state of confusion. Looking back, I’m disappointed in my 8th grade teachers because no one stopped to explain to us what was going on. No one tried to get us a TV or a radio so that we could see or hear what was going on. We were living history and they just let the moment pass us by. Of course when no one tells us the facts, there are numerous rumors going around. I was getting a jumbled mixed up message of what had happened. It wasn’t until my last class of the day when I finally was told the facts of what had happened that morning. Mrs. Vickie Wells was my special interest teacher. She told us the facts of what she knew. She also had a radio playing the news so that we could be kept up to date.
That afternoon, I had marching band practice. We practiced for a little while and during our first break, Ms. Reynolds called us all around her. She told us that she thought it was more important for us to go home then to stay and practice. She told us to go get gas if we could drive and to go home. That was the moment that I really knew this was serious. Our band director did not cancel band practice-especially during the week of homecoming.
Ben was taking me home that day, so I got in the truck with him and we waited in a very long line at one of the gas stations to get gas. Then, we drove on to my house. When we got there, my mom had the TV on and it was covering the attacks. That was the first time all day that I saw the footage of the smoking towers.
That night, my church held a special prayer service to pray for those affected by this tragedy and for our country. My family attended this service. I remember earnestly praying for God to protect our country from further attack. Nothing like this had ever happened before. I was worried about what the future held.
I remember how patriotic we all became after September 11, 2001. I also remember how the nation turned to God by praying more for the country. Since that day, these feelings have faded. Ten years later, we’ve all gone back to our normal lives. We remember that day, but it no longer is affecting how we think and live. There are some changes that came about from this tragedy, but after 10 years, even those things have become normal.
Today, my thoughts and prayers have been with those who lost loved ones on this day 10 years ago. I also am in prayer for our country and for those who are serving our country today.
So, what’s your story? What were you doing on that day 10 years ago? How did it make you feel? How do you feel about it today?
Here's my Homecoming picture from September 14, 2001
My school had these shirts made after 9/11. The first picture is me and my friend, Dawn wearing them. It shows you the front. The second picture is what the back looked like.
No comments:
Post a Comment