Blogging tips

Monday, May 20, 2013

Dear Pregnant Kim

Dear Kim,

I must admit, I love a good reality show. When I want mindless entertainment, I always know I can find a reality show that will do the trick. I don't know what it is that always sucks me in. Maybe it's how unrealistic reality TV is. It's almost like an escape from reality. Anyway, I say all that to say that I have indulged in your family's show quite a bit.

 

This letter isn't to discuss reality TV or your family's show, though. I wanted to let you know that I don't think it's fair how the media is comparing you to Kate Middleton. You have two totally different body types. As I've begun to have friends and people I'm closer to becoming pregnant, I noticed something. People who are naturally skinny get a little bump that slowly grows into a larger bump. They're the people who look "cute" while pregnant. They can be 9 months pregnant and simply look like they're carrying a basketball under their shirt. This would be a person like Kate. On the other hand, people who are naturally curvy tend to simply look like they're getting fat when they're pregnant. It's not fair. I know that if I'm ever pregnant, I will fall into this category. People's bodies are different and when you're pregnant, you're going to gain weight.

 

The biggest problem, though, is that you're not dressing well for your pregnant body. I'm not a fashion expert, but I cringe at your outfit choices when I see them in magazines or on the internet. I'm sure that if you were to make better outfit choices, the media wouldn't have as much to talk about. The biggest problem to me is that your clothes fit too tightly which accentuates your fuller figure.


As we all know, life is not fair. It's not fair to have people criticize your looks when I'm sure your hormones are on overdrive as it is. We all know you're not getting fat, you're pregnant. With the money to pay personal trainers and nutrition experts, I'm sure you'll drop the baby weight in no time. So, be thankful for that because "normal" people don't get that luxury.

I could go on about how it's ridiculous the amount of money you're spending on your clothes or the fact that you picked Kanye West to have a baby with, but I'll save that for another time. Best of luck to you and your baby.

Sincerely,               
Megan                  

This post may seem really random, but it's something that's gets on my mind every time I go into a store and see a magazine cover because you can guarantee Kim Kardashian or Kate Middleton will be on the cover. It has just bothered me that the media wants to compare these two women. I know that I don't know them and we all probably think they're just wealthy and out of touch with reality, but they're people too.

If people are going to be so critical of Kim's pregnancy weight, what does that say to you and me? I know I'm not at a weight I'm happy with, but I try to keep a positive self image. We don't really need the media calling pregnant women (or any woman for that matter) fat. 

Also, I just had to comment on her outfit choices. I think they're terrible....

I'd love to know your thoughts on any of this....Kate vs. Kim, pregnancy, media's obsession with calling people fat, Kim's pregnancy wardrobe....any of it....


6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think the media is criticizing Kate though for not gaining enough weight. I do find it weird that she is this pregnant and where the heck is her baby bump? I know she might like to eat healthy, but come on! You're pregnant, give in to those cravings!

Ashley said...

I agree -- its really unfair to compare to completely different body types, especially on something that should be so positive, like a pregnancy. Unfortunately, thats the media driven world we live in. Anything for a story. But like you, I completely think Kim is choosing all the wrong clothes for her body! She loves something that hugs every inch of her ... but I have to wonder how she can even breath! I know when I was getting towards the end of each of my pregnancies, just walking put me out of breath and that was in a baggy tshirt!

Annie - XOAnnie.com, etc. said...

What a great post, Megan! So true... What does all that critiquing say about US?

Now I haven't been "keeping up" w/how the media compares these two, but the impression I keep getting from Kim is that she's trying to make herself appear "klassy" in some ridiculous outfits, while the Princess always looks naturally classy and tasteful. Naturally, that opens the former up to some komparisons and perhaps unfair kriticism that I don't think is meant to harm, but rather inject at least an oz. of a reality check.

In other news, you know how Kourtney wore really pretty and (dare I say) appropriate things while she was pregnant both times? How come Kim can't take a page off that handbook instead of ridiculing herself like that? Poor kid...

said...

I'm with you! I think it is terrible to be criticizing the weight of a pregnant woman, and people really should be ashamed. But yeah, KK too should be ashamed for those atrocious outfits she comes up with. The skin tight look works better when you aren't with child...
I also wonder maybe if she is havign a girl bc I heard (probably an old wives tale) that girls make you gain everywhere, where boys don't as much. Everyone is different though!

Alyssa Esparaz said...

I'm always totally appalled at how the media just loves to rip celebs apart. i agree - they're people too!

however, we as consumers have a responsibility too. we need to not underestimate our purchasing power or our power as consumers. the reason people, us and star magazine CAN rip these people apart? because WE eat it up!

obviously i'm not saying totally boycott entertainment, because everyone enjoys some entertainment, and some people are born to entertain. but eating up mindless articles that rip people apart is not ok. i've personally been trying to watch what i click and read lately - do i really need to know about such-and-such's saturday night with so-and-so?

thanks for writing this, megan! so good. :) (ps sorry for being so long winded, ha!)

Cody Doll said...

I am so with you on her clothes. I think if she choose better clothes to fit her then she wouldn't look so BIG. But the lives of the rich and famous. If she think she is sexy then whatever to us, right?