Blogging tips

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Let Freedom Ring

Posts about our military and country have been popular this weekend. As it should be. We should thank the men and women and their families who serve our country every day. We all know that freedom isn't free. I am very thankful for the sacrifices that have been made by countless people throughout our history to allow me to enjoy the freedoms I have.


Freedom is an interesting thing to think about and if you study our country's history, even just a little bit, you will see that it has been denied to many groups through the years. I teach North Carolina history so the Cherokee Trail of Tears and Greensboro Sit-in are two major events we talk about because they took place in this state. These are examples of groups of people being denied freedoms. It saddens me to teach these events. It saddens me even more to know that these things took place. These things are part of my country's history.



The saddest thing of all is that in these modern times where we like to brag about being the "land of the free," there are people who are not free. 150 years ago, President Abraham Lincoln ordered the Emancipation Proclamation granting freedom to those who were enslaved.


Today, however, there are millions who are still being forced into slavery. Even in our FREE country! Children, men, women-no one is exempt. You may even be unknowingly contributing to it.

So I encourage you as you reflect on how thankful you are for your freedoms and the people who have made it possible, please remember that freedom is not something everyone can currently claim. I'd encourage you to educate yourself then spread the word. If you are a blogger or user of social media, you have a powerful tool at your disposal. Lastly, would you consider taking action to help make freedom possible for everyone?

Check out these helpful resources:


5 comments:

Ashley said...

For some reason, I didn't know you were in NC!!! I love that you teach local history -- I remember being young and learning about my state's history [Maine] but we never touched any more on once we got older/high school aged!!

Julie said...

Trail of Tears is a big part of Missouri history too - great post :)

ArtWithAnAttitude said...

Trial of tears is a big part of Oklahoma history as well, and being Indian myself is also a big part of my heritage

carrieburke said...

Wonderful post!

Anonymous said...


CAPSA UANG ASLI