Blogging tips

Monday, July 1, 2013

June Book Review: Nonfiction

Summer is one of my favorite times to read. I was off work this past month so I've had plenty of time for it. So much so, that I broke my book review for June into two parts. 

Today, I'm sharing the nonfiction books I read this past month. Tomorrow, I'll share the fiction books I read. 

Find me on Goodreads.

The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word is Misunderstood by Eric J. Bargerhuff

                                                       Book Description:
The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is MisunderstoodHigh-Interest Guide Sure to Spark Curiosity and Conversation A surprising number of well-known Bible verses are commonly misused and misunderstood. Whether intentionally or not, people take important verses out of context, and pastor and Bible scholar Eric J. Bargerhuff has seen the effects: confusion, faulty decisions, sin being dismissed, and more. With a deft touch, he helps readers understand and apply sound principles of interpretation and application of twenty familiar verses. This concise high-interest approach appeals to the curious as well as readers concerned about incorrect theology.
Book description and image via Goodreads

My Review:
As I have matured in my faith and have become a more regular reader of my Bible, I began to realize that a lot of verses that people quote don't really mean what people think they mean. People like to take things out of context. Sadly, a lot of pastors or other leaders or teachers in the church have modeled this. People take verses in the Bible and make it fit what they want to say. These thoughts are what drew me to read this book when my husband brought it home. The author picked out some good verses and each verse was its own chapter. It was a really easy read and I finished it within a few days. However, I don't really feel like I learned anything new. By reading these verses in context,  I had already worked through their meanings for myself. If you frequently read the Bible (not simply a devotional, but actually read the Bible in context) and pray then you could probably skip this book.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child by Donalyn Miller

Book Description:  
Donalyn Miller says she has yet to meet a child she couldn't turn into a reader. No matter how far behind Miller's students might be when they reach her 6th grade classroom, they end up reading an average of 40 to 50 books a year. Miller's unconventional approach dispenses with drills and worksheets that make reading a chore. Instead, she helps students navigate the world of literature and gives them time to read books they pick out themselves. Her love of books and teaching is both infectious and inspiring. The book includes a dynamite list of recommended "kid lit" that helps parents and teachers find the books that students really like to read.
Book description and image via Goodreads

My Review:
The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every ChildI really enjoyed this book. Her ideas aren't really a big breakthrough. She basically says the best way to become a better reader is to read. She also points out how it can harm children when we force them to answer questions after every book they read in class. They begin to simply look for the answers instead of enjoying reading. Reading is a task rather than the fun adventure that it should be. She also introduces her 40 book challenge which I plan on doing with my class this upcoming year. I also plan on participating in it myself. Basically, you challenge your students to read 40 books in the school year. They have to read so many books from different genres. I plan on sharing more about this as I figure out the details myself and as my school year gets started in the next few weeks. I highly recommend this to any teacher who teaches reading.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor...and Yourself by Steve Corbett

                                                       Book Description:
When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor . . . and YourselfChurches and individual Christians typically have faulty assumptions about the causes of poverty, resulting in the use of strategies that do considerable harm to poor people and themselves. Don't let this happen to you, your ministry or ministries you help fund! A must read for anyone who works with the poor or in missions, When Helping Hurts provides foundational concepts, clearly articulated general principles and relevant applications. The result is an effective and holistic ministry to the poor, not a truncated gospel.

 Book description and image via Goodreads.

My Review:
I have been reading this books since March and I finally finished it this month! That should tell you that I had some difficultly getting through it. It was not an easy read. I enjoyed it and learned a lot. I just have a hard time reading a book that is full of research and results and data. It discusses how often when we try to help people who are less fortunate than us, we actually end up hurting them in different ways. This can happen for many reasons including: we don't understand their culture; we enable them to become dependent; we try to force our ideas on them; we don't utilize their talents, etc. I would definitely recommend this book to any church leaders or leaders of nonprofit organizations. I would also recommend it to people who are like me and find great joy and have a passion for helping others. It will help you to evaluate what you're doing to be sure you're truly helping rather than hurting.

I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

What have you been reading lately? Have you read any of these?

1 comment:

Cody Doll said...

I love those chooses of books. I am not a teacher but I wouldn't mind reading "The Book Whisperer". I also want to become a better reader, so I figured I would read what I know and branch out.