Blogging tips

Friday, October 18, 2013

A Call to Action

Happy Friday friends!

My life has been SO busy lately. I have barely read any blogs. I've checked my email, but not had the state of mind to properly reply to much of anything. I haven't even been posting on my own blog. Between work and personal life, I've been quite busy.

So, I'm doing something I rarely do. I'm writing a post the night before I post it. I normally like to have my posts scheduled out in advance, but I'm not having time to write the things I'm scheduling. So, I'm being a little more spontaneous.

I've seen this story of 15 year old Davion circulating around the internet lately. I don't know why, but I often avoid these viral stories. However, I decided to read this one Thursday morning and I was quickly sobbing. This story BREAKS MY HEART. Not just for this young man, but for all children who are without families. I hope if you know nothing else about me from reading my blog, you at least know of my heart for children, particularly children who are orphans or in foster care.


Later on Thursday night, I was reading a post from Light Breaks Forth on this subject and a thought came to me. So, I decided to write up my own little post.

This applies not only to this article, but to so many heartbreaking articles that are shared by thousands of people on social media. For example, I've also been seeing this video posted a lot lately. Before I say this, please understand that I think social media and the internet are powerful tools. It allows you to have a voice to advocate for things near and dear to your heart. It's an easy and quick way to share something with many people. I hope you are using your social media influence to spread good rather than to spew negative. Getting the word out and raising awareness about things is important.

However, action is also needed to truly make a difference. Posting an article on the internet is easy. It doesn't cost you anything. There's no sacrifice. If all we ever do is post articles, videos, etc. nothing would ever become better. We need to be out there MAKING a difference.

So, if you're spreading the word about these and other wonderful, touching stories, are you also doing something to help these situations? Adoption isn't the only way to help children like Davion. Not everyone can adopt. I get that. If you can't or don't feel called to adopt, you can donate to someone who is.

I'm currently selling ornaments to help the Thigpen family.
The Ornaments for Adoption family from last year, the Brocks, are in the final stages of raising funds for their adoption through a puzzle fundraiser and selling jewelry.
This family is raising money for their second adoption.
This family is also doing a puzzle piece fundraiser for their African adoption.

These are just 4 families I happen to know of right now. There are so many more out there. Adoption is expensive and it can't be done without help from people like those of you reading this right now.

Giving of your money requires sacrifice, but isn't it worth it so that children like Davion can have a family?

If you don't want to give to a family, there are many organizations out there that help advocate for children in foster care. A WONDERFUL organization I support in my state is Mercy for America's Children.

You can help support children who are orphans or in poverty in other countries through organizations like Compassion International.

Many foster care organizations take donations of bags for these children to have something other than a trash bag to carry their belongings in.

On the other hand, maybe you do feel that tug on your heart that you could provide a family for children like Davion. Maybe if you're not ready for a total commitment, you could open up your home as a foster parent. If you're not ready for the responsibility of children, you could always become certified to babysit for children who are in foster care or you could become a mentor for a child in foster care. You could volunteer for an organization in your area that supports foster children or maybe a pregnancy center that gives support to women who find themselves pregnant unexpectedly.

The point is....opportunities are out there to DO something. Posting and sharing on the internet is a great thing. I find out a lot of stuff from people's posts. I share a lot of stuff that I'm passionate about on my blog and social media sites. However, it's not enough.

Please don't fool yourself into thinking that by sharing stories you're doing enough. None of us can do "enough" until there are no more children left without families.

No comments: