Blogging tips

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Mara Blog Tour + Giveaway

http://alwayslostinbooks.wordpress.com/tours/mara-blog-tour/
*Click me*

Since reading is one of my favorite hobbies, I've been trying to incorporate it more into my blogging. I'm always on the lookout for opportunities where I can show my love for books on my blog. I came across this blog tour for the book, Mara and I wanted to get on board. You can click on the banner above to find the links for the rest of the tour.

Book Details:

Title: Mara
Author: Veronica Bane
Publication date: August 3, 2013
Publisher: Black Hill Press
Series: Mara is part of a planned series. More details soon~
Book Links: Goodreads / Amazon

For years, Mara Tucker has used her power of manipulating flames to punish those who have done her wrong. But things are changing in the town of Jericho. Rampant disappearances have forced Mara to seek out others with special powers. In a story that confronts the violence and turmoil of adolescence, Mara and a group of other "unusuals" like her grapple with new alliances and the villains pressing in all around them.

“A tale of teenage rebellion in the tradition of classics ranging from The Outsiders to The Hunger
Games, Veronica Bane’s fantasy novella explores the timeless themes of growing up, finding one’s inner strength, and discovering where one belongs. The titular antiheroine and her flawed-but-lovable band of “unusuals” are characters that will resonate with teen audiences and older readers alike.” –Ashley Heaton, Editor



 

Author Details:

Veronica Bane grew up in San Diego, California and spent her days writing in local coffee shops and at the beach. Her writing was and has always been fed a healthy diet of chai tea lattes and film scores.
Veronica studied Creative Writing at Chapman University and now lives in Los Angeles.




My Review:

I feel like I could have enjoyed this book more if it had been a full length novel rather than a novella. There was a lot packed into a short book. I was trying to wrap my head around what was going on and who the characters were while the story just kept moving forward at a rapid pace. There are a lot of characters introduced and I admit I had a hard time keeping up with who was who-especially in the beginning. I liked the fact that the book didn't just revolve around the title character, even though it shifted from one character to another rather quickly. I would have liked a slower development so that I had time to get to know the characters better. A lot was hinted at with Mara's back story and what caused her to be the person she is. I'd like to know more about the other characters. They all hinted at painful pasts. It was an interesting story and the plot really picked up towards the end. Then, it just ended which left the possibility wide open for a sequel.

I give it 3 out 5 stars.

Did I mention there's a giveaway?

That's right! You can enter below for your chance to win your own signed copy of Mara AND a $25 Amazon gift card.









No comments: