Blogging tips

Friday, December 27, 2013

13 in '13 Final Review

At the beginning of 2013, I decided to set 13 goals for myself. I tried to update on this list every other month. For the upcoming year, I think I'm going to try and keep things simpler. Anyway...here's how the year ended with my goals:
 
13 Goals for '13

1. Make my blog more about me and less about "what everyone else is doing." {Read details here.}
Overall, I feel like I did this. I stopped trying to do everything. I stopped trying to do all the link ups, blog hops, giveaways, etc. I didn't take every opportunity that came my way. I stopped trying to blog every day. I took a couple of breaks from blogging. I'd say this goal was a success.

2. Cut down on excess in my life. I will be reading Seven: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker and I would like to participate as I read. {Read details here.}
This one's hard to measure, but I did read the book. I also cleaned out our apartment, cut back on the amount of time I spend using technology, and tried to eat healthier. I feel like I'm more aware of things and try not to live in excess whenever I can. I'd say this goal was a success even though there's always room for improvement.

3. Read through the rest of the New Testament. {Read details here.}
Having a quiet time is something I still struggle with. I think I read through 3 or 4 more books of the New Testament. I did not read the entire New Testament. I think in the new year, I'm going to pause on the NT for a while and read out of the Old Testament. My main focus needs to be reading the Word on a regular basis. I did not succeed in this goal.

4. Read a chapter from Psalm and/or Proverbs every Friday. {Read details here.}
I did not do this at all. This goal was a fail.

5. Plan each month's meals in advance. Look for new recipes and cook a variety of things. Eat out less! {Read details here.}
Overall, I did this. There were some months where I was lazier with the meal planning and cooking than others. However, I do feel like I tried to change things up a bit and branch out in what I was cooking. We also ate out less including one whole month where we didn't eat out at all.

6. Write a letter every other month to the children we sponsor through Compassion, Alan and Malaiyarasi. {Read details here.}
I think I might have missed one month, but overall this goal was a success. The main point is that I wrote to them more often.


7. Read at least 40 50 75 books. At least 10 of those books should be nonfiction. At least 5 of those books should be classic novels. {Read details here.}
I'm counting this goal as a success even though I did not read 5 classic novels. I think I'm going to give up on trying to read classics. I just can't do it. I did meet every other part of this goal, though.
8. Get healthy. Exercise at least 4 times a week. Make healthier food choices. {Read details here.}
Overall, this goal is not a success. Some months were better than others. I had some months where I was making very wise food choices and other months where I ate whatever I felt like eating. Similarly, I had some months where I worked out regularly and other months where I didn't work out at all.

9. Create the budget with my husband and stick to it! {Read details here.}
I did this once! I'm terrible, I know. This is going to be a big part of my much simpler goals for next year.

10. Go on at least 2 intentional dates a month. Have 2 nights a month that are technology free. {Read details here.}
Um....I didn't have any intentionally technology free nights, but overall I watched so much less TV this year and was on the computer so much less. We also didn't do so good on the date nights later in the year when Lee got a new job.

11. Do at least 10 things that I pinned on Pinterest. (Read details here.)
I'm going to say this was a success. I stopped counting, but I know I did several Pinterest inspired project this past year.

12. Learn how to effectively use my DSLR camera. (Read details here.)
I did this, but since I haven't used my camera much lately-I don't know how much I remember. The goal just said learn and I learned it once. Next time, I'm going to write down notes so I remember what I learned. :)

13. Create a cleaning schedule (AND STICK TO IT) so that the house gets cleaned little by little throughout the week instead of me having to clean all weekend. (Read details here.)
I didn't do this well at all. Most of the year involved me cleaning on the weekends. This is still something I'd like to work on doing. It's so much easier to do little by little instead of all at once, but I have a HARD time doing anything when I get home from work. 

So, overall I successfully accomplished 7 goals. I at least attempted or improved on the rest. I'd say the year didn't go too bad. Next year, I plan to have WAY fewer goals and I'm going to make them SMART goals so that I can truly assess if I completed them or not.


Did you accomplish what you set out to do this year? Are you going to make resolutions for 2014?

1 comment:

Cody Doll said...

I think you did great. I completely understand about doing on to many. I had alot last year that many went untouched. I think I am going to break them into smaller goals. Much easier. Good luck for the new year. I am curious to see what you choose for goals.