Eucharisteo
"give thanks"
I've written on this subject before and will probably write on it some more. It's a constant struggle. Life can be hard. We all know that. We've all had to deal with difficult times. How do we get through those hard times? How do we find joy even when things seem dark?
I could write a long post complaining about everything that has gone wrong in my life. Complaining is easy. What's not easy is taking the time to give thanks even though we have so much to be thankful for.
In 2012, I participated in a book club on Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts. I was a few chapters short of finishing the book and I would like to go back and read the whole thing. I did enjoy going back and reading my thoughts on the chapters I did read (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 if you're interested). This book goes right along with what I hope to focus on this year.
A few things led to me deciding to use this as my 2014 word. The first thing happened at church in December. During the sermon, the pastor said, "God doesn't owe us anything. What we have is His kindness." This really struck a chord with me. How often do I wonder why bad things are happening to me? How often do I think so highly of myself that I shouldn't be having to deal with this? I don't know why I think I'm so special. I know I'm not the only one who's guilty of this. Everything in this life that I have is God's kindness. It's by His grace that I wake up each morning. The God of the universe doesn't owe me ANYTHING. When I stop to realize this, it makes me want to thank Him for everything I do have.
The second thing that helped me decide to use this word is Thanksgiving. I get very irritated at Thanksgiving with all the "thankful" posts. I know that's the point of Thanksgiving. My problem is that most people only take the time to be thankful one time during the year. Also, usually the things I see people being thankful for are very superficial. There's so much more we have to be thankful for. It kind of hit me recently, though, that I complain about it but I'm no better.
So, this year I want to take the time to be thankful. I want to be thankful for everything- the good and the bad. I want this attitude of thankfulness to result in joy.
One way I've thought of remembering to be thankful is to dedicate my post on the last Thursday of each month to recounting the things I'm thankful for that month. It will be like having Thanksgiving every month. One link up that I used to be dedicated to was Dancing with Ashley's "Favorite Things." This link up took place at the end of each month and it was a time to share your favorite things from that month. Some months, I had a hard time coming up with my list, but I always did it. It was always a way for me to find the good. Ashley no longer hosts this link up, but I still need that monthly reflection. I've considered making my last Thursday of the month what I'm thankful for post a monthly link up. Any thoughts? Would anyone be interested in that?
Anyway...that's my word for the year. Eucharisteo. Give thanks.
Maybe I'll even get a necklace like this one from Eager Hands
What do you hope to focus on this year?

5 comments:
I would love to participate!! Great word! My mom use to have it hanging over the front door. Beautiful.
Great word for the year! And very true that God's kindness is just that...not owed, but given anyway. I would love to participate in a things I'm thankful for link up each month. I find myself with similar thoughts when things aren't going exactly how I'd like and would love the opportunity to reflect at the end of each month.
Great word for the year! And very true that God's kindness is just that...not owed, but given anyway. I would love to participate in a things I'm thankful for link up each month. I find myself with similar thoughts when things aren't going exactly how I'd like and would love the opportunity to reflect at the end of each month.
What a beautiful word. I wrote something like Thanksgiving is about giving thanks and forgetting that last year. Also very funny that you are going to write a Thankful post at the end of the month because that's what I am going to do too! I have it all planned out and ready to go. I can't wait to share it. To funny we thought alike. I can't wait to read yours.
PS Are you taking the one little word class?
Post a Comment