Blogging tips

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I have a new addiction...

Hello. My name is Megan and I'm addicted to pottery.

Yes, pottery.

I find it fascinating how an artist can take a lump and mold it into something beautiful. On our honeymoon, we stopped at a pottery shop and I bought a cute little pitcher.

Seeing this pitcher in my house prompted a friend to ask me if I wanted to go to this pottery weekend with her family. I agreed and enjoyed a day of shopping at several pottery stores a few hours from where I live. I would have loved to buy a variety of items, but in the end bought soup bowls and a couple of Christmas presents.

Then, I went to a pottery painting place in town with a few coworkers and now I'm hooked. I have always enjoyed crafts and painting, but had to stop due to not really having a place to put my creations. Painting pottery was a relaxing, creative outlet and it was lots of fun.

I decided to paint a popcorn bowl. Here it is that night before it was glazed and fired:

Here it is completed:
 I wish the edges were a little cleaner, but I know I'll get better the more I do it. :)

Now, I can't wait to go back. I took a picture of the fabric of my nightgown the other day because I thought it would be a good pattern for pottery.

I started a pottery board on Pinterest for inspiration. Here are some of my inspirations for any pottery painting in my future:
 This movie is so sweet. Image via SweetHeartShoes.
 I'm going to have to do something Harry Potter related. Image via Ophelia's Gypsy Caravan.
 How cute are these birds and trees? Image via Indulgy.
This doesn't match my kitchen color scheme, but I like it a lot. The source of this image is no longer available. 

Have you ever painted pottery? Or do you have a fun addiction?

2 comments:

Crystal from My Ramblings said...

I love it! I started about 4 years ago at a local place... it is so relaxing... and its amazing how things come out once they are fired! I haven't been in a while because I've been so busy, but I need to make some time for this soon.

Cody Doll said...

Those are awesome. It's funny because I made a bowl in about 4 grade and it looks just like the one you did. Have fun with you pottery.