Blogging tips

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Baby Hall's Story: Adoption Application Approved

Yesterday, I shared how we were pursuing adoption before we found out we were expecting. I still want to share these experiences with you.

This was written around November of last year:

Last time, I shared how we came to make the decision to start an adoption as well as where we started. When we left off, I had sent in our application and other paperwork and we were just waiting to hear back.

The first Saturday in November (about a week and a half after sending in the paperwork), I checked our mail and we had something from the Children's Home Society.

It was a letter telling us the name of our Program Specialist. It said that we would be contacted soon and that in the meantime, we could get together some more paperwork. We needed to fill out another form. This one giving permission for a background check to be ran (costing $40). Because we've lived in NC less than 5 years, we also have to get one from our previous states of residence (Alabama for me, Florida for him). We also needed to get a certified copy of our marriage license.

I was so excited (first of all that we hadn't been rejected and second of all because we were moving forward). Of course, I sat down right away to start on the paperwork. However, since it was Saturday, I couldn't do much about the other state's background checks and the marriage license.

During the week, I made a few calls to find out how to obtain a certified marriage license (very simply by sending a SAS envelope and a $3 money order). When Lee was off, he picked up the money orders we needed to get our background check and marriage license. As soon as we had those, I mailed off for our NC background check and marriage license.

In the middle of November, we received a call from our social worker wanting to set up our initial meeting. We set up a meeting with her for the following Monday. That same week, our marriage license came in the mail. We were going to wait and find out from our social worker how to apply for background checks from other states.

During this time, I also attending an adoption support group meeting with Mercy for America's Children.

To be continued...

No comments: