It took me a while to get a smart phone. I didn't want to be one of "those people." You know...the people who are attached to their phones. Well, I finally got a smart phone and I hate to say I've become what I didn't want to be. Sitting at a red light? Check my phone. Waiting to pick up my order at a restaurant? Check my phone. Laying in bed at night? Check my phone. Commercial on TV? Check my phone. The list could go on and on. It's just second nature now to reach for my phone when I have a second of down time. What happened to just sitting a minute? Why do I now feel the need to be constantly entertained? Over a year ago, I wrote a guest post about this growing habit I observed in others. Now, this person is me.
On a good note, I do try really hard to not get out my phone if I'm visiting with someone-even if it's just my husband. I still try to respect that time.
Smart phones aren't the "bad guys" here. Even before I had a smart phone, I spent more than enough time on social media.
Now, don't get me wrong. There are things about social media that I love. I live far away from my family and many friends. It's a great way to keep in touch, know what they're up to, and share what I'm up to. Through blogging I've been able to meet people and have opportunities that I never would have met or had otherwise.
It's just interesting to me to think how in a few short years social media has really integrated itself to be a part of our every day life.
Now that we're expecting our first child, I've really been thinking about what role I want social media to play in my life as a mom. I also have been thinking about what role I want technology to play in my child's life.
My thoughts on my social media use:
-I don't want to miss out on time with my child because I can't get off my computer or phone.
-I don't want to be so wrapped up in capturing a moment in a picture or video and sharing it on social media that I miss enjoying and actually living in the moment.
-I don't want my child to view me as the person who always has her laptop open or her nose stuck to her ipad or iphone screen. I don't want that to be the norm.
-I don't want to feel like I need to share every little thing my child does and says with the internet world.
-I don't want to feel like I have to be super mom and do all the cool things that I see posted on my various social media newsfeeds and Pinterest feed.
-I don't want to share every little detail of our personal lives with "friends" who I don't even know that well.
My thoughts on technology for my child:
-Obviously the abundance of technology brings up a lot of issues like children accessing things they shouldn't be looking at or talking to people they shouldn't be talking to. At this point, that isn't even my main concern. I'm concerned that there are babies who can use an iphone better than my mom. (Sorry mom...it's true.)
-I don't want to use technology to pacify my child.
-I want my child to grow up playing and using her imagination, not stuck in front of a screen of some type.
-Technology has it's place and it will be an even bigger part of my child's life than it was mine, but I don't want it consuming her life from the very beginning.
* * *
Again, I will say that I don't think social media or even technology are bad things. There are things about them that I love and that make my life so much easier. I just think it's about finding a good balance and sometimes that can be really difficult.
How do you balance your time on social media as a mom? What are your thoughts on your child and technology?
*Linking up at Mommy Moments and Made to Mother*

10 comments:
What a powerful video! it is so tough at times. I'm a new mom (8 months) and I'm still trying to find a good balance. I don't want my child being so attached to technology, but at the same time, I don;t want him to fall behind. As a culture, we rely so heavily on technology. I want him to be smart and know how to use them, I just think that it's important to have a healthy balance. Great post!
Very nice post and oh so true. I have been thinking a lot about getting a smartphone so that I could keep the grandparents more up to date, but I spent much of this last week with family and friends, not taking pictures, but instead just enjoying the time together. There is value in both, but finding a balance is so important. It's an every day challenge. New follower. Looking forward to reading more.
This is a great read! I'm working on a post of my own dealing with social media. It's such a love/hate relationship. What to do? What to do? Thanks for sharing. #mommymoments
www.amominneedofadvice.blogspot.com
I have always wondered what life would be like if I had a kid. I don't like computers and can really go weeks without it. (other then school only like word) but James is totally in love with his. It would be hard to find a balance but I think it's there, somewhere.
I have always wondered what life would be like if I had a kid. I don't like computers and can really go weeks without it. (other then school only like word) but James is totally in love with his. It would be hard to find a balance but I think it's there, somewhere.
You nailed it. This was such a great read. Why can't more moms-to-be (and current moms) be like you?
My mom doesn't want future husband+I to depend on tech either, so she'll ensure the kids do crafts and play outside and dance and do sports and learn other things for entertainment.
XO doll. You'll be great. Just being aware of this is half the "battle."
PS- For the love of all that's holy, just don't be like this dumb mom (who must lack some brain cells): http://www.today.com/news/facebook-fight-follows-moms-photo-daughters-bare-bottom-1D79887253
I don't have kids yet, so I can't speak from that point of view. But I do notice myself constantly checking my phone when I have down time. It's a bad bad habit, that I hope to break so that I don't miss out on life itself. I do love my social media though. This is a great post that has really got me thinking about the future and how I will want to be around my future kids.
I applaud you for being simply "aware" that this could be a problem.
As a mom, I had some of the same concerns. If you set clear boundaries with children in the beginning it will make it easier to follow through as they get older.
Our family rule is that when our little guy is up, our phones can be near by in case they ring or we get a text message but we don't spend his awake time trapped in social media. He takes a pretty lengthy nap each day and that's when I check in on IG and Facebook and check my email. The same goes for the evening. I mess with my phone for about 45 minutes in the evening then turn it off and hit the hay.
They can be highly addictive, can't they?! As can Facebook and Pinterest , and, and...
I hear you..it's something that all of us as busy Mamams/bloggers need to be aware of & guard against time sucking/wasting!
Rachael @ http://www.parentingandhomeschoolinginfaith.com
Post a Comment