Blogging tips

Thursday, January 20, 2011

O We're Halfway There....

……ooooOOOO…LIVIN’ ON A PRAYER

It’s a month of halfways.

I have made it through half of my first year as a teacher!!! This is exciting. Now, I am just praying that I can still have a job and continue teaching in the same school next year. Being a teacher has been stressful at times, but also very enjoyable. I never wake up dreading work and absolutely not wanting to go. Sure, I wake up most mornings not physically wanting to go because I’d rather stay in my pajamas and be lazy all day. Since I have to work, though, it’s great that I can do something I enjoy. Kids can be so much fun. They also can make you feel so special when they draw you a picture, hug you, or come in with a huge grin on their face because they can’t wait to tell you something exciting. It’s still scary to think that these children’s futures can be affected by me. I know I have plenty of growing to do as a teacher. I’m very blessed to work with a great staff that is so willing to help you out with anything. God truly blessed me when He provided me with my job.

So, I would like to share a couple of funny stories from my teaching experience. Hopefully they will seem as funny in print as they were to me when they happened:

One of the other teachers had gone to Disney World and made a photo book of the trip. I was looking at the photo book and one of my students was looking at it too. He was very impressed with all the pictures of the characters. He got especially excited when he saw Mickey Mouse, but then he said “My dad says Mickey Mouse is the devil. I like him though.”

One of my students asked to go to the bathroom one morning. He was in there a very long time and I honestly forgot he was in there. He came to me after coming out and said “I’m not sure if I need to flush the toilet. I um…I um…I…I was in there a really long time.” I was just nodding my head like…yeah I understand what you did in there. I told him that he did have to flush the toilet and it would be fine. He said again “But I was in there a really long time.” I assured him again that it would be fine to flush the toilet.

I sent one of my students next door to the other 2nd grade teacher. This student’s last name happens to also be Hall. While he was next door, the other teacher asked him what his last name was because her mind went blank and she couldn’t remember. When he said it was Hall one of her students said “I didn’t know you were Mrs. Hall’s boy.”

When you get married, there’s no better way to get used to a new last name then to be a teacher. I hear “Mrs. Hall” all day long. It’s really weird, though, because I know they’re talking to me and I respond to it, but it still doesn’t feel like MY name.

Along with being halfway through my first year of teaching, Lee and I are now halfway through our first year of marriage!!! I’m not even going to lie and say it’s all been bliss. A new marriage, new jobs, and living hundreds of miles from home can be very stressful. I am very happy, of course, and I know that all of the stress is only making us stronger. I was pleasantly surprised at how well we adjusted to living together. We have always had a long distance relationship. On average, we only saw each other on weekends. My family’s Christmas vacation in 2009 was the longest consecutive time we ever spent together. Living together has just been very natural to us. If only I can get him to consistently pick up after himself and always put things back where they belong…

So, here I stand at the halfway point of my first year in my first “real” job and my first year of marriage. I wouldn’t say there’s been any bad times, just stressful times. There have definitely been many happy and good times. In the next half year, I hope to keep my job, become a better teacher, accumulate many more funny stories compliments of my students, have less stressful times, become an even better wife, do some traveling around the area, and go to Disney World for our anniversary. Those are just a few things that popped into my mind as I look forward to the next six months.

Halfway There,
Mrs. Hall

No comments: