Blogging tips

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

From the Kitchen of Mrs. Hall



I love Pinterest. I know I say this a lot and I’ve written a couple of blogs about it. It is a great place to get and share ideas. I have made many of the recipes I have found on Pinterest and today I decided to make this one.

YUM! How good do these look? You can find the original blog with this recipe here.

I had everything I needed for this yummy treat except M&M’s. So, I had to make a run to CVS. While I was there I took advantage of some deals and used some coupons I had. I basically got my bag of M&M’s for $2.00. You could buy 2 bags of Easter M&M’s for $6.00. However, you got $1.00 extra care buck back to spend another time. Then, I had a coupon for $1.00 off 2 packages of Easter M&M’s. In total, I saved $17.99 and I received $2.00 extra card bucks. I’m still not a master couponer, but I enjoy saving when I can. 
 Thanks to my CVS trip, our candy bowl is full again!
  One of my favorite types of candy/chocolate. Miniature Reese's!
 My other favorite type of candy/chocolate. M&M's!

Anyway...back to the recipe I found on Pinterest...
 To start the base of my Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Brownies...Triple Chunk Brownies with Hershey's chocolate
After baking the brownies, I had them setting out to cool when Lee came home. He was excited because I made brownies. I told him that they were not going to be normal brownies because I was going to give them the peanut butter cookie dough topping. He whined and insisted that I only do that to half of the brownies. I gave in since I did buy these brownies for him as part of his "30 Days Until You Turn 30" birthday gift.
 Here's the finished product...with Easter M&M's of course!

The last thing I want to do is share a simple recipe that I think tastes good and is easy to freeze half of for later. One of the hardest things for me about cooking is that I feel like we waste food or I’m stuck eating leftovers for days because Lee doesn’t really eat leftovers. This recipe is very simple to divide into 2 dishes- cook one and freeze the other one for later.

How to make Chicken Casserole:

1.     Cook and shred 3-5 chicken breasts. 
 

2.     Mix chicken with 1 can of cream of chicken soup and 8 oz. of sour cream

*Funny story-One time I was making this and reached in the refrigerator and grabbed what I thought was sour cream, but it was actually ricotta cheese (they come in the same kind of container). I mixed the ingredients with ricotta cheese instead of sour cream. Needless to say, that batch of chicken casserole was ruined.*

3.     Line a greased casserole dish with the chicken mixture. (Here’s where I use 2 8x8 casserole dishes instead of the 1 9X13 dish.)
 

4.     At this point, I put the lid on one casserole dish and put it away in the freezer for later. Then, when I take it out of the freezer to cook, I do the next steps for its topping and baking.

5.     Next, melt 1 stick of butter and mix with 1 sleeve or roll of crushed Ritz crackers. Top your chicken mixture with this new mixture.  (The original recipe actually calls for 1 stick of butter and 1 and a half rolls of Ritz crackers, but I use 1 stick of butter and 1 roll of Ritz on each half. I’ve never made it all together in one big casserole dish. I guess you may have to play around with the amount until you get it to your liking.)
 

6.     Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. 
Simple and Tasty...

No comments: