Blogging tips

Monday, April 9, 2012

Weekend Getaway to the Outer Banks


This past weekend Lee and I spent 2 days on the Outer Banks. I did not have to work on Friday, so we figured it was a great time to take a mini vacation. I’ve wanted to visit the Outer Banks for a while now for 2 reasons: #1-It’s full of history and #2-Nicholas Sparks books (I know that only one of his books actually takes place in the Outer Banks and it wasn’t one of my favorites, but for some reason anything on the east coast of North Carolina makes me think of a Nicholas Sparks’ book.)

So, before I tell you about our weekend let me give you a big vacation tip- ALWAYS check the weather before going on vacation. NEVER ASSUME you know what the weather will be like. I did not check the weather before packing and I assumed that the weather would continue to be BEAUTIFUL springtime weather that we had been experiencing. I packed shorts, tank tops, t-shirts, a cute springy top, a cute springy/summery dress, flip flops, and one pair of TOMS. Luckily, it was a little chilly on Thursday afternoon so I thought to grab two jackets before we left the apartment.  

On Thursday night we arrived at our condo. The furniture was very out dated, but it was a nice size and clean condo. We grabbed some brochures from the lobby and began to plan what we would do. 

On Friday morning, I woke up and looked out the window to find RAIN! I turned on The Weather Channel to find out that the high temperature for the day was only 54 degrees! This trip was not going to go how I had planned. However, Lee and I were not going to let the weather ruin our trip. So, we set off Friday morning to see the sights.

First stop-site of the first flight in Kill Devil Hills:

 Wright Brothers' Memorial


 Statues recreating the first flight



Playing around posing with the statues
Next, we headed south to Hatteras Island:
 Bodie Island Lighthouse


 We drove on the beach


 Lee loves his truck



 Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
Then, we drove north to Corolla:

As we were heading in from driving on this beach, we found this Mini Cooper stuck in the sand...in case you're wondering-Mini Cooper's are not made to drive in sand.
Lee helped them and this mini van that was also stuck. (Mini vans aren't made to drive in sand either)
Then, the sheriff's deputies showed up and weren't happy with Lee blocking the road with his truck-that's the thanks we get for trying to help the people out.
The water was pretty...

All the vehicles where the road ends and the beach begins.
 Currituck County Lighthouse

 Pretty sunset (after the sun had been behind clouds all day)






After a long day of driving and seeing the sights, we ate dinner and headed back to the condo to rest. Saturday, we woke up to sunshine, but the wind was still very cold.

We headed to Roanoke Island before heading home:

 We visited the Lost Colony...
 ...and the Elizabethan Gardens in memory/honor of the colonists


 Queen Elizabeth statue

 Virginia Dare statue-first European child born in America


 Then, we headed home to unpack and try to relax a little bit before Easter Sunday.

I hope all of you had a wonderful Easter!

"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:  That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith" -Galatians 3:13-14

1 comment:

Ashley said...

What a wonderful get away!!