Blogging tips

Thursday, August 30, 2012

What is a Multi-Track Year Round School?

I've mentioned on here before that I work at a year round school. 

When I say that to people, I usually get a reaction like "I could not go to school all year!" or "I would not like that!"
I feel that way too when they say that.
Because....I love it!

I would have a hard time going back to traditional school.

I thought I would explain what year round school looks like and why I love it.

This is what our school calendar looks like.
Sorry if you can't see this too well. If you're interested in seeing the calendar better, you can click here.
 
Our school has 4 tracks. Each track is made up of 1 or 2 classes on each grade level. Each track has a different schedule. On the calendar, each track is represented by a different color. My track is red.
It sounds more confusing than it is.

Basically, one track is coming back while another one is going on break every 3 weeks. So, in a year round school, you think of things in 3 week increments. On the calendar, each color represents when that track is in school. So, you will notice that there are always 3 colors in school and then the white is showing that that particular track is on break. Orange means a holiday and no one is in school.

Most of the time, teachers also have to pack up their room and move out because the teacher coming back will be moving into their room.
Say WHAT Yo?
Say what?!?
It's not as bad as it sounds. It keeps you from accumulating too much stuff. You have a rolling cabinet that moves with you, so most of your stuff has to fit in it. We also have things that the school provides that stay in each room. 

I love my schedule because I work 9 weeks and then get 3 weeks off. When my break falls during a holiday, I get even more time off. For example, I have the whole month of December off! I love getting a break after every quarter. It helps me to reevaluate how things are going. It provides a time to plan and change things if I need to. I don't get nearly as burnt out as I did when I worked at a traditional school.
A burnt out teacher isn't good for anyone.

Plus research shows that children retain more of what they learn with this type of school schedule.


I know most teachers say they love their summers and couldn't give them up. It doesn't really bother me that much. I get bored if I am off too much. I like routine. My 3 week break is usually just enough to give me a break to destress and do some things I enjoy, but not too much for me to get bored.

So, while most traditional schools have just started in the past couple of weeks, I've been in school for 8 weeks now. Which means....I'm one week away from a break!!!

Can you tell I'm ready?

3 comments:

Jenn @ What You Make It said...

Okay, this totally blows my mind. It's so hard to accept the idea of year-round school. But it does sound fantastic! I love the idea of three weeks of break every nine ; ) I might be able to handle being a teacher if I could do that ; ) Aaaand I tagged you: http://passengerseatperspectives.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-liebster-moment.html

Anonymous said...

Wow, Megan. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize that you get such great breaks to recharge. It makes perfect sense to me that it is better for the children as well. Makes me change my perception about it. I hope y'all have a wonderful weekend!!!

Cody Doll said...

I would love to go to an all year round school. It sounds sooo much better then 3 months off for break.