By any other name would smell as sweet.
Names
They're kind of important.
Names used to hold a lot more significance. A name said something about a person.
If you have ever read the Bible or heard Bible stories, you know that many of the people in the Bible had a name change to reflect something that had happened in their life.
Last names started as a way to describe a person's occupation, where they're from, or characteristics.
I've always been one of those girls who dream about baby names. I always thought I'd name my children names that I simply like. The older I get, though, the more I think I want to choose names that mean something (one day).
So, today I thought we'd Skip the Small Talk and talk about our names. In case you missed the first one, I described how I wanted to create some posts where we got to know one another better, but it doesn't work if you don't participate.
How does it work?
I'll pose a question and answer it. Then, I want you to answer in the comment section. If it's something you want to elaborate on, feel free to write a whole post on it and leave me the link. I only ask that you link back to me in your post.
Ready? Let's go!
What does your name mean? How did your parents choose your name? If you have children, how did you choose their name(s)?
(Feel free to answer one or all of these questions)
My name is Megan Kimberly.
According to Baby Names, Megan is a Welsh name. It means "pearl." It was most popular in 1985 which was a few years before my parents gave me the name.
I like this meaning because pearls are created when a foreign substance gets inside an oyster and irritates it. The oyster takes this irritant and creates something beautiful. I hope I live up to this name and can take the struggles in my life and turn them into something beautiful.
My mom chose this name after she read The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough. This is a complex story, but it's basically about Meghan Cleary who falls in love with her family's priest, Ralph. The story spans many years. It's actually one of my favorite books. In the book, Meghan is called Meggie. My mother actually wanted to call me Meggie. Thank goodness she never started that! (Sorry if you or someone you know goes by Meggie.)

Kimberly was chosen as my middle name because my dad's name is Kim. Although, Kimberly is no longer officially my middle name. I use my maiden name as my middle name.
Now it's your turn. I want to hear from YOU!



13 comments:
OK Here you go....My name is Tammy Teresa. Dad picked the name because of a song titled "Tammy Teresa" (they still have the 45...can you remember those?) Well after checking out the link you posted (Baby Names) I found out that "Tammy" was most popular in 1968 and origin is English. Another search said that there was a TV series, a comedy, in 1965 titled "Tammy" and there was another site that refers to "Tammy" as the girl next door...you know a good girl, of course this is a reference to the series "Tammy and the Bachelor" "Teresa" origin is possibly Greek naming "harvest". Oh and both names are feminine. So I guess my name means I am a sweet harvest girl. My oldest daughter got her name because of my Dad's initials (his are A.M. the story goes the doctor suggested the name Mac Arthur...it was 1942...Grandma swapped the order to Arthur Mac). Taking the initials I picked Megan Ashley, it started as Ashley Megan but I didn't like the flow so a little swap of names and viola...Megan Ashley. The second child's name came from the TV series "Bewitched" and a combination of the two most wonderful women in the world to me...my mom Linda and her boss Mother Katherine...Samantha Kalynda. And the third child got her name from the Movie "The Great Mouse Detective" and her dad's aunt...Olivia Christine.
Well this was fun, glad I saw this post this morning. I hope you have a good response it will be fun to see other stories. Thanks, Tammy
Hey Megan! Love your blog :) I nominated you for a liebster bc I enjoy reading so much!
Well we have the same first name :-) Although my parents named me Megan because they didn't know any one with that name (this was '86). My graduating class had 6 Megan's in it and there were 4 of us in a couple of classes together so we were numbered! My middle name is Leigh. Spelled differently from my mom but the same name as her and a couple of my family members on my dad's side. I kept Leigh and dropped my maiden name when I got married!
My husband chose our oldest son's name (Deqlan Phoenix) because of a character out of a movie and his love for the bird the phoenix. Our younger son is Hayden Lee just because we liked the name Hayden and Lee to carry on the middle name tradition :-)
My real name is CODY. And it only meant something a few years ago so I know my mom didn't choose it because of a meaning behind it. Really she just choose it because she like it. No cute story for me.
If I have kids I am going to name my boy Benjamin Noah but call him Noah. I am have been in love with the name Noah since I was a child (my babydoll was named Noah). Then when the notebook came out I knew my son HAD to have his name.
As for my girl, Saphora Grace/Jay. I get Saphora from my great-grandmother. She was a HUGE influence in me and my brothers life. She was the sweetest person in the world and always willing to cook a good meal. I would hope my daughter to be the same. I just don't know about her middle name. I like grace but I think Jay is cute too.
Jenifer means "white, fair and smooth, soft"
It's quite appropriate since I am white as a ghost and can't hardly keep a tan. My personality is definitely not soft though!
My mom chose the name because she said that all the Jennifers she had ever met had been nice. Which I think is funny because in 80's movies Jennifers are always the stuck up popular snobs with high bangs.
Anyway you might have noticed that mom chose to spell my name a little different than the normal Jennifer. Just one n in my name. Jenifer.
That was a pain growing up. Always getting my name spelled wrong and never finding a key chain or bike license plates with my name on it was a bummer.
My mom and family call me Jena or Jen, which I prefer.
I didn't have any master plan when choosing my kids names.
Abigail was a name I always wish I had.
Austin was a name I always thought as really cool. A cool kid name. I don't know, I'm weird.
We tried really hard to find one more A name for Jack, but I just didn't really like anything, so we went with Jackson. I just think Jack is a strong name.
Wow I guess I should have just done a blog post myself and linked it here, since I've typed a novel in your comment section.
my name - Natalie Marie - is because my mom LOVES Natalie Wood, and also Natalie means born on Christmas, which I was pretty close (Dec. 30th)
Marie I think is just a default middle name that flowed well? lol
I really really always wanted to have a daughter and name her Rhiannon after the Fleetwood Mac song, but the hubs thinks it sounds too much like Rihanna, whom he REALLY dislikes (I sorta do too) so that bums me out, lol.
Margaret Elizabeth :) I think it means something like gracious pearl and I believe it's of english origin. I used to dislike it but now I love it. I think it's a very mature, strong, and classic name. I always dream of baby names! I like Adeline Elizabeth for a girl, or Gretta Elizabeth..
I like your name and the reasons behind it!
My first name is Angi (obviously) and my parents decided to be creative and NOT make it short for anything (Angela, Angelica, whatever) so "Angi" is my full first name. I guess my mom just always liked that name? Anyway, the name "Angela" means "messenger of God" so I guess my name sort of means that.
My middle name is Diane. The honest-to-goodness story behind that name is that my maiden name is Buchman, and my parents wanted a middle name that started with a "D" because they thought the monogram "ADB" looked nice. So they just came up with a D name they liked, and it happened to be Diane. Haha.
We don't have kids yet, but I want to do fun unique names that also mean something cool!
My name is Kera Ann. I used to hate my name when I was younger because it's spelled differently and I couldn't find any pencils or bike name plates with it on. It was always Kyra or Kira. And everyone was always calling me Kara or Karen. Now though, I love it. I love that it's different and that my parents named me after a character from their favorite sci-fi movie of the 80s--The Dark Crystal. It's cool to me.
We named our daughter Sofia Cora. We liked the name Sofia and wanted it spelled with an "f" to be different, plus it's the Italian way to spell Sophia. My favorite is her middle name--it was my grandma's middle name, who passed away in 2007. I loved her so much and she would have adored Sofia. I always tell myself that she did meet Sofia in heaven before Sofia was born :)
My great grandfather was Ash...so I'm Ashley.. And my great grandmother was Elizabeth (which is my middle name). Both of my boys have strong family names as well!
I don't know that my name was chosen for any certain reason. My first name (Crystal) was the 20th most popular name in the 80s. My middle name is Leigh, and "Lee" is a common middle name in my family, but I'm the first girl, so the spelling was changed.
When I have babies, their names will have meaning. I love family names.
ruhul my real name small baby very good i love baby indian names
Post a Comment