This month, I'm teaming up with my sponsor, Crystal from My Rambling to further educate ourselves and share with you what we learn on the problem of hunger.
I'm Megan. (In case you're new around here.)
Here's my story and why this cause is important to me:
I'm Megan. (In case you're new around here.)
Here's my story and why this cause is important to me:
I, personally, have never had to worry about where my next meal will come from. I realize how very blessed I am and I also realize that not everyone can say this.
I also will be the first to admit that I don't know what the answer is. There are pros and cons to government assistance. That's not what I'm here to discuss. There's also a problem because the cheap food is junk. So, the only food some people can afford is harmful to their bodies. There are so many factors to actually ending hunger that I know I don't understand.
What I do know is that I can't sit by and do nothing. Why not?
Well, I've shared this verse on my blog many times, but it applies here as well:
If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? -1 John 3:17
Another verse that inspires me to help is:
Love your neighbor as yourself. -Matthew 22:39
I have material possessions and I know people are in need. I also know that I don't let myself go hungry, so why am I letting my neighbor?
This is Crystal. She blogs at My Ramblings.
Here's her story and why this cause is important to her:
A few years ago, I was a substitute teacher for our county. I worked primarily in a school where a large number of the students were on 'free or reduced' lunch. I knew that for some of the kids, school breakfast and lunch were the only food that they were going to get for the day. Some times, kids would not have money for lunch, and the school only allowed a certain number of 'charges' before they would only serve the child milk and bread. I would pay for children to eat lunch, because you never knew when it would be their only meal.
This is Crystal. She blogs at My Ramblings.
Here's her story and why this cause is important to her:
A few years ago, I was a substitute teacher for our county. I worked primarily in a school where a large number of the students were on 'free or reduced' lunch. I knew that for some of the kids, school breakfast and lunch were the only food that they were going to get for the day. Some times, kids would not have money for lunch, and the school only allowed a certain number of 'charges' before they would only serve the child milk and bread. I would pay for children to eat lunch, because you never knew when it would be their only meal.
In 2010, I joined our local Women's Organization, and one
of our partner agencies was the Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC.
The first time that I volunteered at the Food Bank, I was blown away by
the amount of food there, and how many people they served. When I came
home that afternoon, tired and dirty, I started looking for more ways
that I could help. I enrolled in their Social Media Ambassador program,
to help spread awareness of the Hunger issue and to help support the
Food Bank.
In this country, no child should go hungry. Hunger
is not always detectable by just looking at a person.This issue needs
more awareness.
* * *
I (Megan) recently heard about a documentary called A Place at the Table. It is about educating people on this problem.
You can watch the trailer and learn more about it below:
In the end, it doesn't matter what
your religious or political beliefs are. We're all human. That's
something we can agree on and people don't deserve to be without food
especially when there's plenty to go around.


No comments:
Post a Comment