I guess a dumb phone would be any phone that's not a "smart" phone. If so, that's what I have.
Yep, there it is. Nothing fancy. It makes calls and it texts. It can even take pictures and videos. But that's about it.
Now, please don't misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I'm not trying to brag on myself or say that if you have a smart phone, you're a bad person.
Would I like a smart phone? Sure. They make things so convenient. They also have a lot of cool features.
However, God has changed my life and it is no longer mine. I can't live my life for me. God is love and we show our love for God by loving others. More often than not, this requires sacrifice.
At this point in our lives, my husband and I sacrifice the convenience of having smart phones in order to be obedient to His word.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For
I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you
gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’" -Matthew 25:34-40
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’" -Matthew 25:34-40
Do we still have a lot of technology and unnecessary things? Yes. There is always room for improvement; and as I recently read 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess, I am more aware of and try to not have so much excess in my life. The less excess we have, the more room we have for God and for loving and helping others.
For you, it may not be a smart phone, but is there something you could give up in order to help those around you? Maybe it's giving up cable. Maybe it's going out to eat less. Maybe it's not going shopping every weekend.
If God asked you to give up something you want, something that "everyone else has," would you be willing to do it? It's not easy and it's not possible in our own strength. However, I guarantee you that if you are growing in your relationship with Him, those things won't seem so important anymore.
"If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?" -1 John 3:17
"If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?" -1 John 3:17








6 comments:
Love love love this post! I don't have a smartphone either, but there are just so many better things I can spend my money on currently.
Sara
http://sbengschyearningformore.blogspot.com/
This is so true! I think your choices are very admirable, and I am certain I would love your cellphone bill!
I admire you choices and determination to serve God!
www.mommysrambles.blogspot.com
LOVE this!!! It's so true. We choose to not pay for cable (although it would be SO NICE sometimes) because we really don't need to be spending that extra money every month. Instead, we support an orphanage in India through our church. I need to read that book....I'm sure there are TONS of things I still do/have in excess!!!
Great post Megan! It's hard to give up those daily conveniences that we love. I admire you for doing so! The hubs and I have talked about giving up cable because we spend too much time watching mindless shows when we could be spending time with each other or with Sofia or the dog.
I can't believe how well you addressed something we've been thinking a LOT about in the past few months--giving up our cable. But b/c I'm in Marketing, so goes my excuse, giving it up is a bit tough as I have to know about all the latest. (Tho in a world of Kardashians and other junk, this argument becomes worthless, doesn't it?..)
However, we also have Netflix & Hulu+ subscriptions, so a cable one seems stupid. I'm fully aware of this and I'm dying to pull the plug b/c I fully recognize all that we'll gain once we do (incl. a boatload of extra $$ e/mo and, well, less junk!), but I just need something to push me over the edge, so to speak. I think you and this post def just helped get a lil closer.
So THANKS dear Megan (for this and for that shout out on Twitter--means a LOT)!! XO.
Post a Comment