Blogging tips

Monday, July 8, 2013

13 in '13 Halfway Update

The year is halfway over. As promised, I'm updating on my goals every other month.

13 Goals for '13

1. Make my blog more about me and less about "what everyone else is doing." {Read details here.}
I took my first blog break. I'm posting when and how I want to, not because I have to. I'm only doing button swaps right now. My blog hasn't really grown any this year, but I'm trying not to think about that and to simply blog because it's something I enjoy doing.

2. Cut down on excess in my life. I will be reading Seven: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker and I would like to participate as I read. {Read details here.}
There are really no new changes to this since my last update. I'm more aware of the things I'm buying, eating, using, etc.

3. Read through the rest of the New Testament. {Read details here.}
I've done terrible with this and I could give excuses for this, but I won't because they're not good enough. I should have been reading my Bible on a more regular basis. I did do a Bible study on Ruth, so I got off my NT reading to do that study. However, I've gotten back into the habit and I've been doing much better in the last few weeks. So, I feel good about the last half of the year. 

4. Read a chapter from Psalm and/or Proverbs every Friday. {Read details here.}
My update on this one is pretty much the same as #3. 

5. Plan each month's meals in advance. Look for new recipes and cook a variety of things. Eat out less! {Read details here.}
I'm doing good with planning our meals and trying out new recipes. Because I'm trying to eat more fruits and vegetables, I'm having to get used to grocery shopping more. We're not doing so good with the eating out less part. This is mainly my husband's fault. I would eat out a lot less if it wasn't for him. 

6. Write a letter every other month to the children we sponsor through Compassion, Alan and Malaiyarasi. {Read details here.}
I haven't done great with this. There's no excuse for it because with their new online feature, I can type letters and have them sent right away. 

7. Read at least 40 50 books. At least 10 of those books should be nonfiction. At least 5 of those books should be classic novels. {Read details here.}
I upped my goal to 50, but I still think I have a good chance of exceeding that. I have also already read 10 nonfiction books. The only part of this goal that I'm struggling with is the 5 classics. So, I'm keeping the goal the same, but I'm going to start participating in book challenges. I even have a Book Challenges page at the top of my blog now. One of those will be finished in a few months, but the other two will carry over into next year. You can check it out to see what I'm challenging myself to do. 
8. Get healthy. Exercise at least 4 times a week. Make healthier food choices. {Read details here.}
I feel like I'm doing really good with this goal. With school out for a month, I've been able to get into a better workout routine and I hope to continue it once the school year starts back up. I've also cut out a LOT of the stuff I used to snack on. I'm keeping more fruits and vegetables in our house. I'm also continuing to try and cut out processed food. It's a slow process because I do want it to become a lifestyle change, not just a fad. 

9. Create the budget with my husband and stick to it! {Read details here.}
It's halfway through the year and I haven't even attempted this one! I hate dealing with money. 

10. Go on at least 2 intentional dates a month. Have 2 nights a month that are technology free. {Read details here.}
We've yet to do a technology free night, but we are using technology A LOT less. I never turn on the TV just to watch. I only turn it on if one of my shows is on. I also am on the computer a lot less. We're both trying to be more aware of how much we use technology. We're doing good with our dates and spending time together as well. In the next few month, I want us to get back in the habit of eating our meals at the table. 

11. Do at least 10 things that I pinned on Pinterest. (Read details here.)
According to my last update, I had completed 5 Pinterest projects. With a new school year coming up, I've done several more that I plan on writing about soon.

12. Learn how to effectively use my DSLR camera. (Read details here.)
There's nothing new to report here. I did learn some new things about it, but because I have not practiced them regularly, I've forgotten a lot of it. I think I'm going to make myself a notes page next time I do some research. That way I can keep it in my camera bag and remember the things I learned. 

13. Create a cleaning schedule (AND STICK TO IT) so that the house gets cleaned little by little throughout the week instead of me having to clean all weekend. (Read details here.)
I've created a schedule, but I'm having trouble with the "sticking to it" part. I never feel like doing anything when I get home from work although I know my life would be easier if I did a little something every day instead of letting it pile up for me to have to do on the weekends. 

So, what about you? Did you make resolutions or goals this year? Are you sticking to them? 

4 comments:

said...

Sounds like you are making some good headway on a lot of your goals! We have tried to eat better at my house too, but it is SO hard! We basically have to re-configure how we've been eating across the board...

Cody Doll said...

I think that you are doing better then me on keeping up with your goals! Course then again I probably am trying to do to many. Oh well. I guess whatever I don't finish will go on next years list.

Kera @ Nugget On A Budget said...

You had a lot of goals, so I think your progress is great with them. I haven't even looked at the goals I wrote for 2013 let alone see if I'm attempting any of them. Right now I'm more focused on getting things done before baby #2 arrives and having fun summer days/trips with Sofia and as a family. I do have to say that I'm doing better at creating my blog to be what I want it to be.

I love how much you are reading. I love to read but all of my free time, I've been spending blogging and such.

Alyssa Esparaz said...

wow - those are a lot of goals! haha. good job. :)

just an encouragement on the compassion letters thing - it's hard to get started, but once you do, you won't be able to stop. the more you write, the more they write and the more you want to reply to their letters. once you get into a rhythm where it seems like you're kind of writing back and forth, you won't be able to stop! :) on top of that, your letters are sooo valuable to them!