Blogging tips

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Keeping up with the Joneses

Today's social media makes it easy to compare ourselves to others. You can easily see who's getting married, has a great job, is buying a house, or is having children. People post pictures of their fashionable outfits and their delicious dinners. You can see all the photos from the fun vacations people take and the new TV, phone, car, grill, shoes, etc. that someone just bought.

I know I can be guilty of comparing my life to the lives of others. This can get frustrating because to be honest, our life since we've been married hasn't really gone according to plan. Despite all that, I'm content with our life. I'm happy and trying to take each day as it comes. All of that often goes out the window, though, when I get on a social media site. Unfortunately, social media has become such a part of our lives that I can't make myself not check it. I even can be guilty of comparing my life to the lives of bloggers I follow.

I know this is a natural thing that all people do. However, I recently found this quote on Pinterest and I try to keep it in mind when my thoughts are threatening comparisons.


Each of our lives are different. We also don't know everything that's going on in a person's life. People can choose what they share on social media. Things probably aren't always as perfect as they seem. Rather than comparing our lives to others, we should focus on enjoying and living OUR life.

How do you deal with the feeling of "keeping up with the Joneses" that comes from social media?

10 comments:

Ashley said...

Really, really love this quote. It's so true. I've also heard...with blogging and posts...don't compare your "normal" to someone's "best".

rebeccalately said...

That's an awesome quote. I haven't heard it before, but it's so true. I just stay true to myself and my family's values to avoid the nasty downward spiral of comparing myself to others.

Kera @ Nugget On A Budget said...

I actually was just talking about this very topic with another bloggy friend. I love my social media and blogging, but I admit, sometimes I do find myself comparing my life to others. I hate that, because you're right, everyone is at different stages in their lives, going through different times. And some of those people who only post about the "good" things and seem all put together, may really not be. I love this post :)

said...

I totally do this too. Sometimes I think it is a good thing in that it motivates me to step it up, but other times (especially with dumb things like possessions) it takes me to a not so great jealous place. I like the quote 'bloom where you are planted' too. Everyone has a different starting off point so you are never comparing apples to apples, in the end if you are happy/content with your life, then you are ahead of the game in my book!

said...

I forgot to add though, I think we'd all be better off is the whole 'showing off our things' on social media would go away. Because really, unless you are inviting me over to cook on your new grill, or taking me for a spin in your new BMW, why should I care?

Kimberly H said...

I definitely find myself falling into this trap, and I try my hardest to be cognizant of it and avoid feelings of jealousy or wanting things just because others have them. I've also had to keep this in mind on my fitness journey, because it can be easy to feel inadequate when comparing myself to others who have been at this WAY longer than I have. Thanks for the reminder!

Daydreaming Realist said...

I, honestly, deleted Twitter and Instagram from my phone and stopped using my personal facebook account and I am way more focused on my own life, now. I added Twitter back today, because of blogging, but I don't check it constantly, anymore. I love the quotes that you added on here--great advice.

I get stressed out reading everyone's posts, because I just don't have the time/energy/money to do everything perfect all the time or go on lots of vacays/trips. I love makeup and all of the girly stuff, but I'm still a down-to-earth person who doesn't pull off a "look" everyday. I enjoy looking at those posts when I'm looking for ideas, but I avoid them when I'm dead-tired and feeling stressed out.

It helps to organize bloggers by the "type" too. I keep the fashion ones separate from the mommy ones and the funny ones separate from the DIY ones etc. I guess I think of bloggers as an online magazine of pages that I organize for when I need to check them out. :) Oh man, I love some food blogs, too!

Annie - XOAnnie.com, etc. said...

That quote is SO cool! (I'm tweeting this, btw.) And so incredibly true.

What's helped ME to realize that comparing myself to others isn't worth it is that while their perfectly timed snapshots may show something, A) that may be a minuscule part of their stories they consider worthy of showing off; and B) MY life is friggin' amazing according to *my* standards.

And speaking of my standards, when I'm going through their blogs/FB/etc, I realize 100% of the time that what I have is better than what some of the other things they have.

So I end up not comparing myself b/c I always win, hehe :). The key is to remember that there's a reason for why we have and do what we have and do. And our reason ≠ anyone else's. Which is awesome, huh?

Thanks for sharing!!

jjtressler said...

Oh my this post hit close to home. I completely understand what you mean and how you feel. My weakness is Facebook. I tend to look at peoples comments and pages that I went to school with and think HU?!?! HOW?!?! and WHY?!?! In various forms. Due to how much some of these people made me wish I could do that or have that I actually placed them on a limited access so I could only see their pages when I wanted to. I learned this issue and have filled my blog life with only blogs I truly enjoy and I can connect with. This has helped A LOT! and when I find a blog I end up envoys with I choose not to read it any more. I know its sad however, It helps!

Mrs. T @ My Front Porch

Crystal Green said...

I have learned that trying to keep up with others is not going to get me to my own personal goals. If anything it hinders my success. I do love the quote you shared with us because it's right on. People are at different levels in their journey (like you mentioned.)

This is a great reminder that we are all unique and have our own personal life journey.