Blogging tips

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

My Top Ten Glee Songs

When Glee first came out, I loved it. It made me laugh and I love music so this show was so much fun to me. I have great memories of watching this show weekly with my roommates. During our breaks from college, me and my friends had "Glee nights" where we worked through watching the entire first season.


Many times, they would sing a song and I'd immediately be on itunes trying to buy it. In my opinion, the show slowly went downhill after season 1. They forgot that they were a comedy and tried to be a drama hitting on any major issue they could think of. However, I couldn't make myself stop watching. I still enjoyed the musical aspect of it. Maybe it's because I wish I could sing and dance like that. Maybe it's also because I secretly wish we could burst out in song in real life.

With the recent passing of Glee star Cory Monteith, I've been listening to my Glee music and it had me thinking about my favorite song moments. Today, I'd like to count down my top 10 favorite songs from Glee.

10. Like a Virgin
Starting off my countdown is this song from their Madonna episode. So, this scene is about...well...losing your virginity, but what makes me like this song is the way it's done. It's so well directed. I love how it flows from one couple to the other. (FYI: This video isn't good quality and I don't know what's said at the beginning, but the song is in English.)


9. Like a Prayer
Another Madonna hit continues my countdown. I love belting out this song along with the cast. Then, when the choir joins in-heavenly.


8. Toxic
This was from their Britney Spears' episode which made me laugh a lot. It was a prime example of the absolute silliness that made me enjoy Glee. This song was a surprise at the end with the glee club being joined by Mr. Schuester whose voice is perfect for this song in my opinion. 


7. Take a Bow
This was the episode where I became very jealous of Lea Michele's talent. She really portrays the emotions of the moment during this song. This song takes place after Finn and Rachel kiss, but then he goes back to Quinn.


6. Fly/I Believe I Can Fly
Mash ups are so much fun. This is my favorite. They blend the two songs perfectly. Plus hearing "I Believe I Can Fly" takes me down memory lane to when that song first came out. This was one of those rare moments in the later seasons where we got to catch a glimpse of the Glee we fell in love with.


5. Don't Stop Believing
I don't think you could count down Glee songs without including this one. This is THE song from Glee. I love this glee club version. It's fun to sing along to. In honor and memory of Cory/Finn, I'm posting the version of the song that Rachel sang for her audition in the last season. I thought this was genius. It made me tear up then and it makes me tear up even more now.


4. Smooth Criminal
This song was on their Michael Jackson tribute episode. I'm pretty sure I hit the rewind button and watched this again right away. The vocals are great and the tension is felt, but the true stars of this song are the cello players.


3. Against All Odds
There weren't really any songs from this past season that stuck out to me except this one. I think Darren is an amazing singer and he's playing the piano-bonus!


2. My Life Would Suck Without You
Near the top of my list of all time favorites from Glee is this moment. This song represents all the things I loved about this show. This song was at the end of the winter finale before the show went on its halfway break. They are doing all the different dance moves from various songs they have already sang. It's like reminiscing on all the fun moments from previous episodes. Then, in the end, when Mr. Schuester is running after Emma...I remember being so excited for that moment.


1.  Keep Holding On
This song is without a doubt my favorite Glee moment. This song came after the news broke to the school that Quinn was pregnant after Rachel had tried to keep word from getting out. The song is perfect and the actors do a great job showing the emotion of the moment.



There were plenty of other great music moments and I had a hard time narrowing it down to just 10.

What are your thoughts on the future of Glee? Do you have a favorite song from the show?


Top Ten Tuesday at Many Little Blessings

4 comments:

rebeccalately said...

This is a great list! I love Glee, too, but you're right about its going downhill after the first season. The performance of Toxis is so hilarious!

Julie said...

I never got into the show Glee, I'm not exactly sure why but I think I am going to watch it from the beginning and see what I'm missing.

Jodi Price said...

I watched Glee up until the start of the 4th season. I just can't get into it without the original cast. But this is a great list!

Unknown said...

Some amazing songs here.