Blogging tips

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

10 Things I Learned from the movie Titanic

If you've been around here any length of time, you know I'm a little obsessed with the movie, Titanic. It's even the inspiration for my new blog name.

I cannot tell you how many times I've watched this movie. I can practically quote it or act it out for you. You might not even want to watch it with me, because I almost can't help saying some of the lines along with the actors.


Besides learning about the Titanic itself, this movie taught me other things as well. Today, I want to share with you the top 10 things I learned from watching the movie Titanic.

1. The meaning of the word blase and how to use it. When Rose arrives at the Titanic, she's not impressed and her fiance, Cal, tells her that "You can be blase about some things Rose, but not about Titanic." I used my context clues to figure out what this word must have meant. It sounds a lot fancier than saying "You can't not care about some things."

 The word of the day is blase. Use it. Sound fancy.


2. A full house beats 2 pair in poker. I like games, but poker never made sense to me. When Jack wins his ticket on Titanic, he beats the other man with a full house.


3. Holding your arms out with the wind whipping around you would have been a hit in the tradition of "planking" and "Tebowing" if we'd had the internet access and social media that we have today. Don't lie-we've all done it. Holding your arms out saying "I'm the king of the world!" People died trying to replicate this on ships. I don't know what it would have been called. "Jacking" doesn't sound good. King of the Worlding?


4. How to spit like a man. You really have to hock it back and get some leverage according to Jack when he's teaching Rose. You never know when a skill like that may come in handy. I think they'd be more impressed with that skill the further south you go.


5. Nickelodeon is more than a TV channel. When Jack kisses Rose's hand at dinner, he tells her he saw that in a Nickelodeon once. I knew he couldn't have been talking about the TV channel that I used to enjoy watching.


6. When eating at a fancy dinner with many utensils, start on the outside and work your way in. Molly Brown helps Jack when he's confused looking at all the utensils when he has dinner with the first class passengers.


7. Poor people know how to party. Would you rather attend a stuffy first class dinner or the fun Irish dance party in third class? My friends and I use to recreate that scene dancing around to my Titanic soundtrack.


8. Starboard means right. Port means left. Stern means back . Bow means front . These terms are mentioned all throughout the movie particularly when the ship is sinking. You can impress your friends with this knowledge the next time you're on a boat of any kind.


9. Being able to get more than one person on a floating piece of wood is a skill that could be the difference between life and death. I don't know about you, but I feel like they could have tried a little harder to get Jack on that thing.


10. No matter how many times I see this movie, I will ALWAYS cry! If I don't cry when the ship is sinking and they're showing all the people dying, then I will definitely cry at the end where you see old Rose sleeping and it shows her pictures. You see that she really did do what she promised Jack.


2 comments:

Megan said...

Blasé really is a great word :) And I agree, I think they gave up too soon, that board was totally big enough for two...

Megan said...

I think you already know that we feel the same way about this movie. The other day I was reading something on Buzzfeed and there was a Leo/Jack gif and I literally stopped and just watched it for about a minute. I love my husband, but a little piece of my heart will always belong to Jack Dawson! ;)