Blogging tips

Friday, October 25, 2013

13 in '13 October Update

Whoops! I totally dropped the ball on this 13 in '13 goals stuff. Like all good New Year's Resolutions (or goals as I'm calling them), I started out with the best of intentions and I actually was keeping up with them and working on them through about half of the year. Then, life happens and I forgot about them for a while. Although, most of them are still in my head as things I'm consciously trying to work on.

So, here it is- the end of October. 2013 is almost over. I can't believe it. Here is my 5/6 of the way through the year update.


13 Goals for '13

1. Make my blog more about me and less about "what everyone else is doing." {Read details here.}
When I last updated, I had just come back from taking a blog break and honestly I'm about ready for another one. My blog hasn't really grown much this year and I'm trying to just be okay with that. Particularly lately, I'm feeling down because I'm not even getting many comments. Then, I remind myself that I do this because I enjoy it. It's not a job for me. I don't HAVE to post x amount of times a week. I can post when I want about what I want. If people read and comment-fine. If not-fine. I also took away sponsorship when Passionfruit started charging. I considered using something else, but for right now I'm actually enjoying not worrying about it. Even though I was only doing swaps, I still felt like I needed to do a little something to promote their blogs. Right now, my focus is on promoting Ornaments for Adoption.

2. Cut down on excess in my life. I will be reading Seven: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker and I would like to participate as I read. {Read details here.}
This is an area where there is always room for improvement. Of course, we have way more than we could ever need. My intent with this wasn't to necessarily live without any of our wants. It was simply to be more aware of how we spend our time and money and to make sure we don't go overboard. We've been doing this more particularly this month because we agreed to not buy anything that was unnecessary. I plan on trying to continue until the holidays to not buy anything unnecessary. It's really sad because at Christmas, Lee and I have a hard time getting gifts for each other because we always just go out and buy whatever we want when we want it. I'm trying not to do that anymore.

3. Read through the rest of the New Testament. {Read details here.}
I continue to do terrible with this. I get into the habit of reading my Bible for a few days, then I get out of it for a few weeks. I have read through a couple more books, but I don't believe I'm going to get the whole New Testament read by the end of the year.

4. Read a chapter from Psalm and/or Proverbs every Friday. {Read details here.}
I honestly think I have only done this once or twice this year.

5. Plan each month's meals in advance. Look for new recipes and cook a variety of things. Eat out less! {Read details here.}
I got out of this habit for a while when life got a little crazy, but I'm getting back into it. I've been trying especially hard to plan meals this month because Lee and I also agreed to not eat out this month. So, I've had to make sure we had meals planned and that we don't waste what we've already bought.

6. Write a letter every other month to the children we sponsor through Compassion, Alan and Malaiyarasi. {Read details here.}
I wrote a letter to them just recently. I think there was only one time that I missed writing to them.

7. Read at least 40 50 books. At least 10 of those books should be nonfiction. At least 5 of those books should be classic novels. {Read details here.}
I've read 62 books so far this year. This is the one goal I've definitely followed through with. Well, except the part about reading 5 classics. I've read 0. I tried to read a couple, but I just couldn't get through them. However recently, I haven't been reading anything. I read so steadily for most of the year that it's like I'm not coming down from a book high and I just can't manage to pick one up.
8. Get healthy. Exercise at least 4 times a week. Make healthier food choices. {Read details here.}
I started out the school year working out very regularly. Then, work picked up and things got busier and more stressful and my working out went away. I do feel like I'm doing better with my food choices, though. I cut out a lot of the food I used to snack on. I try to eat more fruits and vegetables. I try to make healthier choices for meals.

9. Create the budget with my husband and stick to it! {Read details here.}
This month was the first time we FINALLY sat down together to do this. I've worked really hard to stick to it and the only thing I've bought all month has been groceries. We're working to try and pay off some debt. My husband, on the other hand, is a spender and although he's done better than usual, he still hasn't completely stuck to the budget.

10. Go on at least 2 intentional dates a month. Have 2 nights a month that are technology free. {Read details here.}
We've yet to do a technology free night, but we are using technology A LOT less. I never turn on the TV just to watch. I only turn it on if one of my shows is on. I also am on the computer a lot less. We're both trying to be more aware of how much we use technology. As far as the dates go, Lee recently got a new job and he's working a lot more than he used to. So, we need to get used to it and be more intentional about spending time together.

11. Do at least 10 things that I pinned on Pinterest. (Read details here.)
I'm sure I've done this, but to be honest for this post I don't feel like counting. I have noticed that I think about Pinterest a little differently. I don't just pin things to pin them. I try to only pin ideas I actually plan on using.

12. Learn how to effectively use my DSLR camera. (Read details here.)
Several months ago, I watched and read some tutorials. In the spring, I played around with the camera to practice, but like anything else if you don't use it, you lose it. Next time, I want to make myself some notes to keep in my camera bag. 

13. Create a cleaning schedule (AND STICK TO IT) so that the house gets cleaned little by little throughout the week instead of me having to clean all weekend. (Read details here.)
I'm doing better with cleaning on a more regular basis. I still can't get into the habit of cleaning a little bit each day rather than all in one day. 

Did you stick to your New Year's resolutions this year? Do you plan on making any for 2014?


2 comments:

Cody Doll said...

I completely understand about the blog. I have been trying to increase my blog but it's been really hard. I get the posting X amount a week. Last week was so crazy I posted twice. I wanted to post more but I have a HUGE paper due and it came first. Yet at the same time I think I am going to be more of that blogger that blogs when she feels like it, not because it helps her traffic...
Although, I think I know why it hasn't increased as much. I don't have a domain or wordpress. I think having wordpress honestly boost the traffic much more then blogger. So I am saving up until I get a real computer, then wordpress, then a design.

Kristen said...

Sounds like you are one determined lady! :) Love your blog!