Daniel has spent centuries falling in love with the same girl. Life after life, crossing continents and dynasties, he and Sophia (despite her changing name and form) have been drawn together-and he remembers it all. Daniel has "the memory", the ability to recall past lives and recognize souls of those he's previously known. It is a gift and a curse. For all the times that he and Sophia have been drawn together throughout history, they have also been torn painfully, fatally, apart. A love always too short. Interwoven through Sophia and Daniel's unfolding present day relationship are glimpses of their expansive history together. From 552 Asia Minor to 1918 England and 1972 Virginia, the two souls share a long and sometimes torturous path of seeking each other time and time again. But just when young Sophia (now "Lucy" in the present) finally begins to awaken to the secret of their shared past, to understand the true reason for the strength of their attraction, the mysterious force that has always torn them apart reappears. Ultimately, they must come to understand what stands in the way of their love if they are ever to spend a lifetime together.
Book synopsis and image via Goodreads
My Review:
Characters:
I didn't really connect with the characters. When I'm reading a romantic book, I want to fall in love with the man too. Unfortunately, Daniel just didn't make me swoon. I enjoyed the romanticism of what he was doing, but I didn't connect with him. I also didn't understand why Daniel had to come on so strongly. Why didn't he just make Lucy fall in love with him the good ole' fashion way instead of going right in with the "I've been in love with you in all my past lives" angle? There were some other things the characters did that didn't completely make sense, but I don't want to spoil anything by talking about those things too.
Plot:
This book has so much potential and I really wanted to love it. I loved the idea of someone remembering their past lives and being in love with the same girl for over a thousand years and every life he tries to find her. Yet, for all of their lives things couldn't match up. Either one of them died too soon or one was a child while the other was an adult. However, I don't feel like it was done the best it could have been in this book. It took me a while to get into the plot as it was written. The first half was kind of boring and picked up for me in the last half.
Resolution:
What resolution?!? This book just ENDED! There was no kind of resolution. Do they end up together? Was everything they went through to get together worth it? Hope was hinted at for a happy ending, but we don't know. Something I read suggested that there might be a sequel and I sure hope so. This ending didn't set well with me.
My Grade:
I give it a B. Even though it didn't live up to its full potential, I still feel like it was a great love story.

1 comment:
I remember this book! I bought it at the airport during a layover. I agree on the B rating. I think I set my expectations too high.
Post a Comment