Blogging tips

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring Cleaning: Clothes Edition

I am continuing to try and simplify our lives in small ways. We are so blessed and have so much more than a majority of the people in the world. So, today I gave my closet and drawers a much needed cleaning out. Lee had already cleaned out his clothes a few days before.

I am a recovering hoarder. My room used to hold every note, card, gift, piece of jewelry, clothing, etc. that I’d ever owned. I get this honestly because my dad never gets rid of stuff either and my grandmother loved to shop and had closets, cabinets, spare rooms, etc. full of stuff. However, when I was preparing to move to North Carolina, I knew that I could not keep all my “sentimental” things. I also knew that I shouldn’t get so attached to material things because in the end ‘you can’t take it with you when you go.’ After accepting this mentality and taking a long, hard, honest look at my things, I got rid of SO much stuff. Now that I’ve moved twice in the last year and a half, I understand even more the importance of not holding on to too much stuff. Don’t get me wrong; I still have many items that are very important to me. We also still have a lot more stuff than is necessary.  

Somehow, my “get rid of excess things” attitude hadn’t quite affected my clothes. I still held on to many articles of clothing that I have had since high school. Other articles of clothing I have had for almost as long.  So, I decided it was time to get rid of those things that I just kept holding on to for some reason. Most of those things haven’t been worn in years or (cough cough) they don’t fit anymore.

Therefore, I spent about 4 hours of my afternoon going through all my clothes and only keeping the things I can and do wear. The rest will be donated to Goodwill so that someone can actually wear them and enjoy them.
 Here's my start-this is just from one drawer.
 Now, I've started to clean out the closet.
 Clothes everywhere! I have a donate pile, a keep pile, and a pack away pile (because we don't have room in our closet for all of our clothes so we have to switch with the seasons)
 I freed up lots of hangers
 My newly cleaned out closet with less clothes.

 4 trash bags and 2 regular sized bags full of clothes to donate

1 comment:

Angi said...

Is it weird that I actually LOVE getting rid of clothes I don't wear?? I always feel so much more relaxed when they're not taking up precious space...haha.