Doppelganger- German for "double walker"
I first encountered this word on Facebook about 3 or 4 years ago. It was "Doppelganger Week" and everyone was changing their Facebook profile pictures to celebrities that they looked like (or that looked like them). A lot of my friends really did look like certain celebrities. Some people were even lucky enough to look like more than one person. I had some friends that at first glance, I didn't realize it wasn't a picture of them. I was kind of sad because I've never been told I look like a certain celebrity nor have I ever felt like I looked like one. I didn't have anyone to change my profile picture to.

Keira Knightly & Natalie Portman are celebrity Doppelgangers
I heard this word again about a year later when I started watching the show The Vampire Diaries. The Petrova Doppelganger is a huge part of the plot of this show.
Much of the plot line centers around the female main character, Elena, and Katherine, the evil vampire.
While the word "Doppelganger" today more or less means someone who looks like you, it has a darker past. I found an article on about.com that stated the following:
Do you have an exact double somewhere in the world? Can a person be in two places at once? There are many intriguing accounts throughout history of people who claim to have either encountered apparitions of themselves - their doppelgangers - or have experienced the phenomenon of bilocation, being in two separate locations at the very same time.
"Doppelganger" is German for "double walker" - a shadow self that is thought to accompany every person. Traditionally, it is said that only the owner of the doppelganger can see this phantom self, and that it can be a harbinger of death. Occasionally, however, a doppelganger can be seen by a person's friends or family, resulting in quite a bit of confusion.
In instances of bilocation, a person can either spontaneously or willingly project his or her double, known as a "wraith," to a remote location. This double is indistinguishable from the real person and can interact with others just as the real person would.
The article goes on to tell of real people who supposedly saw their Doppelgangers and most of them died shortly after-CREEPY!
One day while browsing on Pinterest, I found my husband's Doppelganger:
This picture of Rob Kardashian made me think of Lee.
So, I decided to try and find my Doppelganger using http://www.findmydoppelganger.com/.
This is me
and according to www.findmydoppelganger.com I look like
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
James Blunt!
Really?!?! I look like a man! I think I'm sadder now than I was 3 years ago during Doppelganger Week.




9 comments:
Lol oh man that made my day! No you do NOT look like James Blunt!! Haha so funny though! Do it again it'll orob say something different now. I'm gonna try it!
Thanks! It had me laughing for a while! I tried it again right after I did the first one and it still said I looked like a man...just a different one. I didn't do it a 3rd time. I was scared what it might say next!
Absolutely no way, you do not like James Blunt! geez, lol
I didn't realize those two actresses looked so much alike! I cannot remember their names...Kiera Knightly, right and I forget the other gal? A sign I'm getting old, lol. Don't tell anyone. ;)
Oh doh, the names are right under the pictures. Never mind me. Happy New year!
HAHAHA omg I literally just cracked up laughing. I'm going to have to try this thing out! I first heard of a doppleganger on How I Met Your Mother and I thought it was a made-up word to use for the show lol.
Oh Megan!!! Thanks for linking up! I dont think you look like James Blunt but I guess it doesnt mean you look like a man but a girl version of him... like his sister? hahaha idk where they come up with these things :)
LOL You look NOTHING like James Blunt!! Not at all!! Silly website lied to you! But I am not gonna lie this post cracked me up!
I do not see the resemblence, but your hubs totally looks like Rob Kardashian!! Because walking around in Hollywood, that papparazi might start chasing you guys, lol.
I meant, be careful, I was typing too fast, lol
Post a Comment