It kind of hit me this morning that I'm leaving for this mission trip at the end of this week.
There was so much planning in the beginning.
We had to try and raise funds.
I had to let my friends and family know what was going on and ask for their prayers.
I had to get a passport. (That in and of itself is an adventure.)
Then, all the craziness kind of stopped.
And now it's finally here...
***
This morning in church, our pastor taught on Deuteronomy 6:1-9. His focus was specifically on verses 4-5 that read "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."
This command is repeated throughout the Bible, but maybe most notably in the gospel of Matthew when the religious leaders ask Jesus what the greatest commandment is to which he replies: "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." -Matthew 22:27-40
This is the key. If we as Christians could just get this right, everything else would make sense and be easier to obey.
Nowhere are we commanded to love ourselves. Nowhere are we commanded to think of ourselves first.
Nowhere are we commanded to love our spouse, children, families, careers, homes, or stuff more than God.
This is hard. This is against our very nature. We are naturally selfish and greedy.
We should be constantly checking ourselves by asking 'am I putting anything ahead of God in my life?' Am I more passionate about a sport's team than God? Am I more passionate about my career than God? Am I more passionate about pursuing my hobbies and interests than God? Any number of things can be inserted in those blanks.
What about this: Am I more passionate about my church than God? Am I more passionate about my bible study than God? Am I more passionate about Compassion International than God? Am I more passionate about a mission trip than God? Again, I could go on and on inserting good, Godly things in those blanks. However, those things can become idols in our life as well.
I have to check myself as I prepare for this mission trip. Am I more excited about going on a mission trip or about loving God and displaying my love for him with my obedience?
***
Tomorrow I will begin the packing process. I know, I know...we don't leave until Saturday. One thing you have to know about me is that I like to be prepared. I will start packing some things tomorrow so that I can see what I still need to get and I have plenty of time to get it instead of waiting until Friday night. I'll let you know how that goes tomorrow.
I will leave you with this verse and one of my favorite songs:
"Oh, the depths of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgements,
and his paths beyond tracing out!
Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been his counselor?
Who has ever given to God,
that God should repay him?
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
To him be the glory forever! Amen."
Romans 11:33-36
No comments:
Post a Comment