Lee and I went on a picnic yesterday evening. We enjoyed dinner and
family devotions while admiring God's beautiful creation all around us.
__________________________________________________________
In one week, I will be leaving on a plane heading to Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.
![]() |
| We will be in Tizimin |
This will be my first time out of the country and it will be my first international mission trip.
I am very thankful for the opportunity and I am very appreciative of all my family and friends who helped fund this trip as well as those who have been praying for me.
Lee put this trip together, but due to his stomach problems he will not be going.
Why am I going on this trip? I could give lots of little reasons, but I will sum it up in 2 simple answers.
#1- I've always wanted to go on an international mission trip. Growing up, I would hear people come in and speak at church who were missionaries or I would hear other church members sharing about a mission trip they had gone on. I've always had that desire in me to be a part of one.
#2- God commands it. In Matthew 29:19-20 Jesus says, "Therefore, go and make disciples of ALL NATIONS, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
What have I done in preparation for this trip?
So far, I have been praying about the trip. I have been asking my family and friends to pray for the trip. I have met with the other mission team member so that we can plan and prepare. I have started a packing list so that I will (hopefully) not forget anything. I have bought a couple more pairs of shorts. Yesterday, I also bought my twin air mattress, twin sheets, and a travel pillow.
Next week is going to be very busy as I still have lots to do to prepare.
My prayers for this trip today come from Philippians.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." -Philippians 4:6-7
It can be so easy to get scared when doing something like this. My mind can easily be filled with the "what ifs." This is one of my favorite verse, though, because it reminds us that we can take all our requests to God. He will give us peace from anything that is making us anxious. We have to remember, though, God's peace doesn't necessarily mean that everything is going to be without conflict or trouble. God's peace is knowing that God is in charge.
"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe." -Philippians 2:14-15
It can also be so easy on a trip like this to complain. Our living conditions for the week are going to be very different from what we're used to at home. However, I try to remember that we are going to do God's work and to focus on Him, not ourselves. I also try to remember that there are millions of people in the world who live in far worse conditions than what we'll be staying in.
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus." -Philippians 2:3-5
This verse needs to apply in how our team functions around one another. I have been on trips before with people and when you are around people for an extended period of time, they can start to get on your nerves and do things that bother you. We need to remember that we are all here for the same purpose. This verse also needs to apply in how I deal with the people I come in contact with in Mexico. All judgements and reservations need to be put aside as I am here to serve and love these people like Jesus.
I've got my passport ready. In a few days my bags will be packed. I'm working on preparing my heart by reading His word and praying.
I would love for you to pray for me also.
Thank you and have a great weekend!


No comments:
Post a Comment