Blogging tips

Friday, August 3, 2012

If I Could Write a Letter to Me...

Dear younger Megan,

There are so many things you worry about and think are important that really aren't. Enjoy each day as it comes at you. Make some great memories. Don't be so concerned with what people think of you. Be true to yourself.
In a few years, you won't remember what you were mad at someone about or why you're not talking to one of your friends. Don't concern yourself with those petty things. They don't matter! Work on being a good and true friend. Positive and encouraging friendships centered around Christ are the ones that are most beneficial to you. They are the ones that will last. As much as you don't want to believe it, you will grow apart from most of your friends. They will still be important to you, but your lives will move in different directions. Enjoy the time you have and leave the drama behind.
Don't focus so much of your time and energy on boys. Dating is fun, but it can also cause you to miss out on some things. None of those boys you date in high school are "the one." You definitely can learn some things from each relationship, so I'm not suggesting you avoid them. Just don't let them consume you. Don't let them break your heart. The one that you end up with is worth the wait. Take each relationship as a learning experience.
Speaking of "the one," you meet him in high school, but you're not ready for each other then. God will bring you together at the right time. It will be at a time when you least expect it. He will change your life for the better. He will challenge you, so be ready for it. He's everything you could have dreamed of in a husband. I have to warn you, though, you will have some bumpy roads. You're strong and you can make it through them. Know that marriage is not a fairy tale and it's not all about feelings. It's the merging of two lives to form one. Learn to be less selfish and to control your temper. This will help you when those rough times come.
Enjoy every minute spent with your family. Your time with most of your grandparents will be too short. You will miss them terribly when they're gone. You will wish they were there with you for those major life events. Tell them how much you love them every chance you get. Never miss an opportunity to make a memory with them. Family memories are the most precious and they're the ones who will always be there for you. Your family will be your rock during hard times. Fight with your parents less. They love you and would do anything for you. They're protecting you from the evil that is out there in the world and one day you will appreciate it. Spend some quality time with your brother. You need to be a good influence and role model.
 
Work on your relationship with God now. It will make your life easier as you get older. Read your Bible and pray every day. God's word should be on your heart and mind. Live your life by the Spirit with your mind set on Heavenly things, not earthly things. Don't wait until you're older to truly understand what being a follower of Christ means. Don't waste your teenage years. You can have a positive impact on your friends and classmates. Learn the joy in giving. Realize that there is so much suffering in the world and there are so many people who have so much less than you.
You're going to get through those hard times even when things seem hopeless. Your life is going to go in a direction you never would have expected. Keep God first. Be selfless in your marriage. Know the value of your family. Treasure your friendships. Enjoy each day as the gift that it is.

Your older but probably not much wiser self,
Megan

Photobucket

7 comments:

Ashley said...

I LOVE this. I might have to write a note to my younger self one of these days. I agree with everything, especially loving the time you spend with your family. Wouldn't that be nice if we knew the importance of that years ago??

Anonymous said...

GREAT idea, Megan! I love it, and I can definitely relate to a few of those. Love this post!

Unknown said...

Now I'm singing that song to myself..if i could write a letter to me..haha

have a great Sunday! drop by nichollvincent.blogspot.com and say hi!

Amy Shaughnessy said...

I love this! I wish I could have written something similar to my 16 year old self. High school was so ridiculous and I was so insecure then. I think a lot of kids are though.... Hindsight is 20/20!

Amy


Fashion and Beauty Finds

Shelby said...

This is awesome! You and your hubby are cute(: Im stopping by from the hop, and I'd love it if we followed each other!

Shelby xoxo

Unknown said...

Awe what a cute post!!

Samantha Shepherd said...

This is so great, Megan! I love what you shared with your younger self and that you included photos. :)