Blogging tips

Monday, March 11, 2013

Cleaning Out the Closet

I have been very productive during my break! Yay me!

In case you missed it, I wrote about organizing my pantry the other day.

After the pantry, I moved on to our bedroom closet. 

Not only is this spring cleaning for me, but I'm also trying to work on reducing the excess in our lives. In the book, 7: an experimental mutiny against excess, one area that Jen Hatmaker focused on was clothes. 

While reading this chapter, I started to get a little prideful. As I've mentioned on here many times, I'm not a fashionable person. I might shop a couple of times a year. So, I thought to myself Clothes isn't a problem of mine! Then, I remembered that I have to rotate my clothes with the seasons because I don't have enough room in my closet for all my clothes. That was definitely humbling. Even I, someone who's not that interested in clothes, have excess clothes. 

A year ago, I did a MAJOR cleaning out of my clothes. I actually wrote a post about it, but my blog was really tiny and it has no comments (insert sad face), so I'd love for you to go read it as well over here.

My goal was to get rid of enough clothes so that I no longer have to rotate my clothes with the seasons. I also wanted to organize my closet. 

Here's all my clothes after I pulled them out of my closet and drawers. 
 


Here's our organized closet.


I bought these crates at Target. I use them to hold sweaters, tank tops, and some long sleeve tshirts.

I also got these bins at Target. I put our extra towels and sheets in them.

We already had the drawer thing. I bought the red container at Target to keep my extra bags in. The grey container holds my extra shoes. The black box in the corner houses our important paperwork.

I really like having a specific place for everything. It makes everything look so much neater.

Linking up here and here.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Geez, now you've got me into an organizing mood. I love to clean and organize, but don't usually have much time for it.

Amanda* said...

Do you want to come clean and organize my closet? :)

Kelsey said...

Ok you seriously did some downsizing. I have an issue holding onto some clothes for sentimental reasons, looks like it's time for me to clean it out again!!

Megan @ EphesiansWife said...

LOVE IT-so organized!! Ok, seriously, I need to add this to my to-do list for spring break! Thanks for the inspiration I need :)

Mary said...

Way to go, Megan! I still rotate my clothes with the seasons... I kind of like only having clothes in my closet that I can wear in the current season, but I'm still working on getting to where my off season clothes all fit in our under-bed boxes, rather than the extra closet too!

Angi said...

That looks great!!! Our closet is a SERIOUS mess...it's ridiculously small and it's hard to fit 2 people's worth of clothes and shoes in a really small closet...I don't even have that many clothes. My husband does, though. Either way...we're thinking about buying one of those closet organizer system things, hoping that will help...right now it's a total disaster. Haha.

Susannah said...

Your closet looks so good! I love organization!!!!

Andrea @ Mostly Happenstance said...

Oh my goodness, you're amazing! Can you come organize mine :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

One of my Twitter pees just tweeted out your blog. I love it!! And also, I need to do some serious closet organizing myself :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

*peeps

Rachel said...

Cleaning out a closet is a good feeling! I recently cleaned out mine and gave two bags of clothes to my sister today--sometimes it's really needed. I also don't like the feeling of having excessive stuff. Although I know that I do...

Kera @ Nugget On A Budget said...

Great job with your closet! I love when everything looks and feels organized like that. And...I'd love to have a walk-in closet lol. Guess that's what I get for buying an older house! I tried to semi-organize my closet the other day and I feel a little better about it. Next step it buying more bins and baskets to make it look even better. Thanks for the inspiration!