Echoes by Robin Jones Gunn
Book Description:
In this dramatic contemporary romance by bestselling author Robin Jones
Gunn, Lauren Phillips enters the wild, uncharted territory of the
Internet on her home computer and "connects" with a man known only as
"K.C." As she struggles to recover from a broken engagement, Lauren
keeps busy by working full time and striving to finish her college
degree. But her correspondence with K.C. quickly becomes the thing she
loves most...and the source of dreams she cannot bear to relinquish.
When the opportunity comes for them to meet after a year of
corresponding, Lauren faces a tough choice: Is she willing to risk
everything...including a broken heart? Readers will stay "on-line" to
find out in this bestselling former Palisades release, now the third
book in the new Glenbrooke series.
image and book description via Amazon
My Review:
My attention was originally drawn to this book because I read several of Robin Jones Gunn's books when I was a young teenager.
I was a big fan of the Christie Miller series so I was curious to see
what I'd think of one of her adult books. I appreciate Christian authors
who incorporate God into their stories. Unfortunately, though, I usually find these books cheesy overall (even though they're enjoyable), so I didn't have high expectations for this book to be honest. I wish Christian authors wouldn't always make things end "happily ever after." I also wish they'd include more on the true struggle it is to live as a Christian in a very unchristian world.
Basically, this book is about a relationship developed online. It takes place when people were first getting computers in their home which was a fun walk down memory lane. It made me wonder how this story would have been different if Lauren and KC had Facebook accounts or what if one of them had been a catfish? It's so funny how our technology driven minds have a hard time remembering a time when we didn't have those things. Anyway, Christie starts a correspondence through email with KC. The two fall in love as they bare their soles to one another which is so easy to do with the anonymity of the internet. As bloggers, I know we understand this. I share things with other bloggers that I've never told anyone in real life (other than my husband). In the end, Lauren must decide if she's willing to risk the possibility of more heartbreak to meet KC.
One of my biggest problems with romance novels in general is that they set unrealistic expectations for what men and falling in love should be like. The men are always perfect in every way: Christian, handsome, great body, romantic, articulate, good job, etc. This book is no exception to that. After reading this book, though, I did find Lauren's struggles to be relatable. I also loved a part of the book where Lauren comes the realization that she'd simply been going through the motions of her Christianity. She had let pain and hurt in her life keep her from growing in her relationship. This was something I could really identify with and I wish the author had expanded more on this part of the story.
Overall, this was an easy and quick read. I enjoyed the story even though the plot was predictable in places. This story is actually the third in a series of eight. I researched a little to find out that the first two books focus on other characters who become important in the latter part of this book. It's one of those series about people who all know each other and each book focuses on a different character's story. It makes me want to read the all the stories in the Glenbrooke Series to know more about those other characters. I would especially like to know more about Jessica whose story is featured in Secrets. I've added all the Glenbrooke series books to my Goodreads "want to read" list. I would love another story about Lauren, though, to know what happens next.
I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Basically, this book is about a relationship developed online. It takes place when people were first getting computers in their home which was a fun walk down memory lane. It made me wonder how this story would have been different if Lauren and KC had Facebook accounts or what if one of them had been a catfish? It's so funny how our technology driven minds have a hard time remembering a time when we didn't have those things. Anyway, Christie starts a correspondence through email with KC. The two fall in love as they bare their soles to one another which is so easy to do with the anonymity of the internet. As bloggers, I know we understand this. I share things with other bloggers that I've never told anyone in real life (other than my husband). In the end, Lauren must decide if she's willing to risk the possibility of more heartbreak to meet KC.
One of my biggest problems with romance novels in general is that they set unrealistic expectations for what men and falling in love should be like. The men are always perfect in every way: Christian, handsome, great body, romantic, articulate, good job, etc. This book is no exception to that. After reading this book, though, I did find Lauren's struggles to be relatable. I also loved a part of the book where Lauren comes the realization that she'd simply been going through the motions of her Christianity. She had let pain and hurt in her life keep her from growing in her relationship. This was something I could really identify with and I wish the author had expanded more on this part of the story.
Overall, this was an easy and quick read. I enjoyed the story even though the plot was predictable in places. This story is actually the third in a series of eight. I researched a little to find out that the first two books focus on other characters who become important in the latter part of this book. It's one of those series about people who all know each other and each book focuses on a different character's story. It makes me want to read the all the stories in the Glenbrooke Series to know more about those other characters. I would especially like to know more about Jessica whose story is featured in Secrets. I've added all the Glenbrooke series books to my Goodreads "want to read" list. I would love another story about Lauren, though, to know what happens next.
I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
*I received this book for free through the Blog for Books program with WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group in exchange for honest reviews.*

2 comments:
OoO ... I might have to check out these series. I totally admit that I am a sucker for happily ever afters :) Also, I think in Christian books and even nonChristian books, men are portrayed as perfect or extremely desirable (good or bad) hahahaha I don't know what it is or if that makes sense?
I use to read RJG books all the time too - I think I'm going to have to check out this book!
Post a Comment