Blogging tips

Monday, March 4, 2013

Is Spring Here Yet?

I have just not been into blogging lately. 

It's felt more like a chore. It's been something I've felt like I have to do, not something I want to do.

That's why there will be some changes coming soon. I will be talking more about that next week. 

Not only have I not been into my own blogging, but I haven't felt very into others' blogging either.

I feel like there's not very many good, quality posts out there anymore (my blog included). I'm getting tired of reading fluff. I'm also getting bad about reading blog posts and not commenting. I feel bad about this because I know how hard people work on their posts and I know how much I enjoy getting comments. I usually try to comment on everything I read, but lately I've only commented on about 10% of what I read. 

Anyway, enough of that blogging gibberish...

Friday I shared how I read the book 7: an experimental mutiny against excess this past month. In this book, Jen Hatmaker and her family participated in 7 months worth of "experiments" to fight against our culture's obsession with excess. Each month focused on a different area of our lives.

In the end, Jen never told how her family took these experiments and applied them to their everyday life because she didn't want people to just copy what her family felt called to. She said that each person had to decide how to fight the excess in their own life. I agree. This is a personal decision. 

Lee and I have discussed for most of our marriage how we want to fight excess. Having a lot of stuff isn't necessary and it only creates more self-centeredness. I haven't entirely decided how I want to apply some of the things I learned from this book in our lives. For me, I don't want to simply participate in an experiment. I want to change our lifestyles. 

The first thing I'm going to do over the next few days is clean out and organize each room and space in our apartment. I have done a "spring cleaning" of our stuff every year and this year will be no exception. Somehow we always manage to accumulate so much stuff that we don't need. I will keep you updated as I do this because not only will I be cleaning out, but I also plan on doing some MAJOR organization. 

*   *   *

Lastly, I'd love you to meet two of my friends and they're going to share some springy things with you.

----------

This is Haylie and she blogs at Happenin' Haylie.
Hi! :) I'm Haylie. I'm a 21 year old Army wife that lives in Kansas. I love football, basketball, photography, fingernail polish and too many television shows. My blog is really not about anything specific. I blog about whatever I feel like at the time. Sometimes it's photography or photos I've taken, other times it's a link-up post from blogs I follow, or it might just be a rant or rave about something I saw/feel/like. 

During spring break of 2010, my best friend and I, along with her brother and cousin, all took a cross country drive from Oklahoma to California! It was so fun! We drove straight through and got there in a little less than 24 hours. When I got to California, I was amazed, it was unlike anything I'd ever seen. The ocean was breathtaking and so beautiful! I'd never been to an ocean until this trip and I've yet to see another one. We were in California for a week and we went to the beach, saw celebrity homes, ate at some amazing places, and took a million photos. It was an amazing trip that I'll never forget!

----------

Next is Pamela who blogs at Pamela's Heavenly Treats

Hi there, my name is Pamela the lovely lady behind Pamela's Heavenly Treats, I must first say that without God none of this would be possible.  I am a wife, mother of 6, homeschool teacher and I have a small Healthy Cupcake and Cookie business. Everything that I make is made with 100% Whole Wheat Flour and my secret ingredients.  I have a weekly dessert link party that runs from Saturday to Wednesday called Heavenly Treats Sunday!  I would love to have you.  I also have a Etsy shop where I sell my healthy mixes! Come on over and visit!
 
 Blog ~ Etsy   ~ Twitter  ~ Pinterest 


Spring is my favorite season, when the weather starts feeling nice, the birds start chirping, and the day stays light longer.  This is also the time where I start getting orders for colorful frosted cupcakes, and cookies!  

10 comments:

Ashley said...

It's ok...sometimes you have to step back from your blog and evaluate what the heck is going on. I have to do that a lot myself. This past week I was the same way..I would read a lot of posts but not have the time to comment. I'm going to be better about that this week!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're feeling that way about blogging right now...I have before. I participate a couple of link-ups that have allowed me to find good new blogs.
I dislike "fluff", too...I'm tired of "look at the designer clothes I bought" and "I wish my house looked like this one on Pinterest!"

Kimberly H said...

I'm totally in a blogging slump right now too. And I do read a LOT of posts every day, but only take the time to stop and comment on the ones that I really feel I have something useful to add to the conversation. Otherwise I don't comment. Which is strange because, like you said, I know how much I enjoy getting comments and a lot of time use comments to judge how many people "really" read a specific post. Hopefully we can both find a way out of this slump!

Helene said...

sometimes i get in a blogging funk myself and just need a break. i think spring cleaning is good for your house as well as your brain!!

Julie said...

I actually look forward to spring cleaning. We live in a condo now with not a lot of room to store stuff so now it goes to my inlaws but man I'm ready to go through that one day and have a garage sale!

Angi said...

Regarding not being in the blogging mood...reading without commenting...being tired of fluff...get out of my brain!!!! ;) I swear you just described my exact mood lately...

Kera @ Nugget On A Budget said...

I always feel like we're on the same level when I read your blog, or when you leave comments on mine. It's nice to know that not every blogger is SO into blogging and does it 24/7. We do have lives! I'm excited to read along with your journey on cleaning out the clutter in your house and your life. And here's to spring and Daylight Savings this weekend :) xoxo

Susannah said...

I think it's important to not force your blog. If you're not in a mood to post, then don't. I've been learning that for myself as well. Thanks for being so honest.

said...

I too have felt a little disenchanted with the blog lately (and reading/commenting on others) I think it all gets overwhelming really easily - there is constantly SO MUCH going on and I know I trry to keep up with it all and end up failing over and over!
That book looks so cool/interesting, I am going to go order it finally!

Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren said...

I don't ever feel bad about reading a post and not commenting! I don't think it is necessary to comment on every single post. This includes not commenting on some really good posts just because I don't want to constantly say "I agree" or "Sounds fun!" (not that I haven't said those before) but yeah...did that make any sense?! haha!