Ok.
I know some of you are probably sick of reading my writings about being dissatisfied with my blogging and making changes.
But....I need to write it out. It helps me get my thoughts together and it helps me stay accountable to what I want to do.
My #1 goal for my 13 in '13 goals was to make my blogging more about me. I've already made some changes and I'm feeling better already.
I also revamped my "About Me" page and added a page telling my blog's mission. I'd love for you to check them out.
After this, I think I should have things the way I want them for a while. Since I've been on break, I've had a lot of time to think about blog things and I've decided to make one more change.
The last change I want to make is to sponsorship.
I wrestled with the decision to start sponsorship and I've wrestled with it ever since. I've always wanted to treat sponsors the way I want to be treated. I've tried to do things that I wish people would have done for me. I've tried to think of new and better ways to incorporate and promote my sponsors.
It's been a LOT of work.
I think sponsors may be one reason I've been so dissatisfied. If I didn't have a full time job outside of the home, having sponsors might be easier for me. How things are now, though, I feel pressure to be sure and give my sponsors what I promised them. I usually also feel like I'm not doing enough.
Another problem has been that some people are HARD to promote. I don't want to sound cruel and I've only had very sweet people sponsor me. {BUT...Here's a blogging tip for you:} YOU have to promote yourself as well. A person you sponsor is not a miracle worker. It's so much easier to promote people who post regularly and post good, quality posts. That being said, I've also had some wonderful bloggers sponsor me who've been very easy and fun to promote.
After a lot of thought, I've decided to do away with paid sponsorships (at least for now).
The main reason I decided to go ahead and take sponsors in the first place was to try and earn some money so that I would have money to sponsor other blogs. I'm a little sad that I won't be able to do that. Instead I'm going to try and focus on promoting my blog in other ways. I also want to focus on writing good, quality posts that make other people want to spread the word about my blog posts.
I always viewed taking on sponsors as a way to help others. I don't want to stop doing that.
So...what am I going to do?
I will continue to offer button swaps. When I first started blogging, button swapping was my advertisement of choice. I don't care what size your blog is, I will swap with you.
I will continue to offer button swaps. When I first started blogging, button swapping was my advertisement of choice. I don't care what size your blog is, I will swap with you.
Other than that, I want to start promoting blogs that I enjoy. Blogs that I truly think are worth reading. These blogs could range from blogs that have 10 followers to blogs that have over 1000 followers. These may be bloggers who don't even follow me. Some blogs may show up over and over again because they're everyday reads for me.
I want to choose blogs to put on my sidebar every month that I want to try and promote because I enjoy them. I want to tweet, post on Facebook, or pin blog posts that I think are worth reading. I want to ask people to guest post on my blog simply because I think they have something worthwhile to share.
I also want to use my sidebar to promote causes I believe in. I also hope to continue to use my sidebar and posts to help families who are trying to adopt.
The best part about all of this is that it will be flexible. There will be no timeline that I have to follow. If someone stay on my sidebar for more than a month, it will be ok. If I forget to tweet about a blog I love, it will be ok. I really need that flexibility right now.
The best part about all of this is that it will be flexible. There will be no timeline that I have to follow. If someone stay on my sidebar for more than a month, it will be ok. If I forget to tweet about a blog I love, it will be ok. I really need that flexibility right now.
I will finish out sponsorships with the people who are already in my queue and then I will put these changes into place.
Thanks to those of you who read through this and who have been supportive of the changes I'm making. I honestly have felt so much better about blogging recently and I know it's because I'm getting back to doing things I enjoy not things I feel like I need to do.
Have a great day!
10 comments:
I think button swaps or link exchanges are better than sponsoring - I agree that it's better to promote blogs that you actually like. I wish they were still the most popular thing instead of sponsoring.
I think you're doing a great job in staying true to yourself. One thing that I used to think is "once I'm doing it a certain way, I have to keep it that way"..but that's not the case. It's great to change things up as you go!
I decided to do the same thing a few months ago -I offered ad spots to all of my favorite blogs and basically did away with paid sponsorships. I didn't formally announce it so that I can still offer ad space in giveaways if I want to, but I think I'm going to stop doing even that. It's just hard to really promote a blog if you don't LOVE the content they put out. Love yours, of course! :)
I need to create a button...but have no clue how :( But hopefully your changes are leading you in the direction you would like to go in!
This is why I love you!!!!!!!!!!!! You do what you want to do and blog because you love to blog!
Hey girl! It's been forever - so sorry I've been so absent. I like the new look! And I agree with you about sponsorships - I'm sure it's much easier when you don't have a job. Figuring out how to incorporate sponsors and make sure they're getting their money's worth is another job in itself! Maybe someday I'll get there. But I'm down with swapping. I'd love to swap with you again. I think I'm getting rid of Passionfruit - it's just too much to keep track of.
I really like your new about me and why you blog pages. I think it is important that you stay true to what inspires you. I totally agree that sometimes it is tough to promote someone when they don't blog very often or it is just a bunch of not that good stuff! but yay, I love your blog and I am glad you are feeling in a better place about everything :)
You're exactly right about the fact that it's just plain difficult to promote some people! Not in a mean way, but I've definitely had moments when I'm like....what more can I say about them? They aren't doing anything now, or if they are, they aren't doing anything interesting...
I like the idea of focusing on helping others out by promoting posts that I genuinely enjoy, I might have to come up with some way to remind myself to do that...
I love the changes that you're making. You're inspiring me, too! I've been thinking of doing away with paid sponsorships too. Even for me being a stay-at-home mom, it's hard to properly support and promote sponsors in the way that they would like. Since I'm not posting 7 days a week like I used to, I haven't been getting a lot of people interested in sponsoring, so it's not a hard decision.
Keep up the good work :)
Long-time follower, first-time commenter here :) (Yay!) Anyways, way to go and stay true to yourself. I, too, abandoned the whole paid Sponsorship thing because, frankly, there wasn't much interest and I care more about writing me-centric content than than audience- or even sponsor-centric content. So now I have unpaid spots on my sidebar and they're things/people/causes/businesses I value and truly care about.
W/that said, I'll go ahead and grab your button b/c I very much identify with you and I truly support all these great changes, incl. your blog's mission. I'd love for others like me to discover you! :D
You don't have to, obviously, but it'd be so lovely if you could grab my button too? :).
Xo and have a sweet rest of your day!
- Annie (www.theRantingLatina.com)
Post a Comment