Blogging tips

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Participation Required


Communication is a two way street. 

This is not only true in real life, but also in blogging.

It's why we make sure we're not "no-reply" bloggers. If you're a "no-reply" blogger, you might want to search how to fix it because it could be why you feel so disconnected from the blogging world. 

It's why I take the time to read all my comments and respond even when there's not really anything to say in response. I want you to know I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and comment. (Unless you're one of those people who says "Hey, I'm a new follower. Follow back?" Sorry, I just delete those messages.)

So, I wanted to have a way to have more communication with you. I decided to begin a new "series." I use the term series loosely because it won't occur on a set day or a certain number of times. I'll just post a new one when I feel like it because that's how I roll now.

I'm calling this Skip the Small Talk. I hate small talk. I prefer deep discussion and really getting to know someone. 

How will this work? 
I'll pose a question and answer it. Then, I want you to answer it in the comment section. If it's something you want to elaborate on more, feel free to write a whole post on it and leave me the link. I only ask that you link back to me in your post. 

Ready? Let's go!

What were you like in high school? Would you go back to high school if you could?

I thought I'd start with one that isn't too hard. I've already shared some about my high school days.

I was a smart kid and goody-goody in high school. I wanted to do what I was supposed to. I didn't want to get in trouble and I wanted to do things to the best of my ability. Grades mattered to me. 

I went to a very small high school, so while our school did have popular kids and not so popular kids it wasn't as big a deal as larger schools. I feel like I got along with everyone. My main group of friends was the band people. I was in the band playing clarinet and doing colorguard. 

I was involved in most of the clubs at one time or another. One of my main extracurricular activities was Yearbook. 

I wanted people to like me and I hated drama even though I still dealt with plenty of it. I had a fairly large group of friends and made some great memories. 

While I had some great times in high school and I treasure those memories, I would not go back! I would miss my independence too much. I also wouldn't go back to that drama for anything!


1. Did anyone else "steal" guys hats as a way to flirt? This was always one of my favorite pictures.
2. Colorguard posing on the football field
3. My senior prom
4. My cousin and I after one of our school's pageants
5. Academic banquet my senior year when we got our honors sashes

Now it's your turn. I want to hear from YOU!

9 comments:

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

I was more concerned about boys & having fun than grades (all 4 years)! But no matter what I do not want to relive those days. I know we make mistakes to help us learn but boy I made some big ones and have no desire to go through the heartache and pain that came along with those!

Unknown said...

I wouldn't mind going back for a day or two, but not for too long. I was a goody goody/Athlete/shy student. Other students would often mistake me for stuck up, because I was a tad introverted.

I would like to go back and have more confidence and make more friends. I regret not keeping up very well with the friends that I did have.

I started dating my husband in 10th grade and were a little too wrapped up in each other and lost a few friends. LOl

Kimberly H said...

Great idea for a post! High school was all over the place for me, honestly. My high school experience looks a lot different depending on whether you're focusing on the academic, extracurricular or social aspects of it!

Academic: I guess you could say I pretty much had the "perfect" high school experience in this sense. I got good grades without trying too hard, took a lot of advanced classes and got college credit by taking AP's.

Extracurricular: I did band and marching band all through high school. My freshman and sophomore years I played volleyball, but junior and senior year I did the one-act play in fall instead. I was somehow involved in our school's musical every year, and senior year I joined choir as well. I also did forensics and, eventually, National Honor Society. I was a busy little bee. :)

Social: And here's where it really starts to get interesting. My freshman year I actually dated 3 different guys, the last of which was Shaun after prom. We dated until he graduated at the end of my sophomore year. I had a great group of friends at that time and many of them are still my best friends now. Everything kind of changed junior and senior year, because I started dating a new guy who turned out to be abusive. I was with him for the rest of my high school career, and it affected basically every aspect of my life. Looking back I wish I could change that, but the past is in the past and it's definitely shaped my career path so hopefully something good will come of it in the end.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Your prom dress color is so pretty.

I also wouldn't go back because I like the freedoms that come with being an adult. I don't care if I have to pay bills, if it means that I can have a Butterfinger candy bar before dinner, just because I want to. :)

I made a lot of mistakes in high school. I didn't have many friends, so I latched onto my brother's crowd of friends. They were all in the "rebel punk" phase, so they slacked off on classwork and skipped school, things like that. I would copy them so I could impress them. Later I drifted to various other cliques and would basically change myself into whatever style (punk, "preppy", artsy, etc.) was necessary so I could fit in.

Elizabeth @ Cheers, Elizabeth said...

LOVE THIS IDEA! Interaction is such a key element in connecting with the people we "know" by reading their stories every day!

I went to a small high school as well: my graduating class had 99 kids in it! It was a private, Catholic school with plenty of entitlement issues. High School made me who I am today though- through all the rebellion, through all the staying after in the library doing homework before volleyball practice! It was a time and a place that I cherish having in my life- with structure, discipline, and friendship.

I certainly would never want to go back, but golly, I look back fondly on those days of my youth! I was a slacker and the big girl in my class. I was a smoker and rule breaker... but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing!

Kera @ Nugget On A Budget said...

Yay I'm following you now with Bloglovin :) Did you follow me yet? I'm trying to build up my followers there instead of just GFC. I love this new series idea. And that you said that you'll post to the series whenever you feel like it. A girl after my own heart!

Cody Doll said...

I am in love with this idea! I think it's great idea. I would to share this idea on my blog too, but I don't think it will be that big...Still a really great idea.

I was a mix of things in high school. My first year was rocky because I go in trouble. My next year was lonely. Thrid year I was goth and skipped TONS. My senior I went to a charter school to graduate. But I would do it again. I just don't know if I would do it all the same or change it up...