Blogging tips

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Homemade Chips Experiment


Last week, I shared how I wanted to change my diet to include more real food and less processed food. So, I decided to play around with making my own chips.



I kept it simple this time and just made chips out of potatoes, but this is something that can be done with a variety of vegetables.

I researched online and basically found the same directions on every site. So, what I'm sharing with you isn't anything revolutionary or new. But...here's what I did.

1. I bought 3 fairly large potatoes. I didn't buy too many because I didn't want to waste them if this experiment went wrong. Next time, I'm buying smaller potatoes.

2. I scrubbed and washed the potatoes. Next, I had to slice them by hand, but I've added a mandoline slicer to my wish list. I cut them up as thin as I could manage.

3. Then per many tips I saw online,  I soaked them in water for 10 minutes. That water was cloudy and gross after 10 minutes.

4. I put them out on a paper towel and patted them dry.

5. I preheated my oven to 400 degrees and placed the slices single layer on a cookie sheet. Then, I covered them in extra virgin olive oil.

6. I baked them for 20-25 minutes. I like things to be crispy.  So, I kept them in as long as possible without burning them. After they came out of the oven, I sprinkled them with salt. The thin, extra crispy ones were my favorite.


I look forward to experimenting with different veggies and different seasonings.


For now, I know that I can successfully make homemade chips.

Now, my problem is figuring out the best way to store them and what their shelf life is. Any suggestions or tips?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We make some similar ones, but to be honest, they don't last to the point of getting to be stored, haha. I may be wrong, but it's probably best to store them in a covered bowl for a day or two, but not in the fridge. The fridge might result in them becoming somewhat hard, then too "gummy" when they are removed.

Amy said...

Kale chips are great, too! Robert and I are attempting to be gluten-free for 30 days. We've added in a lot of vegetables to our meals. Kale chips are a good way to satisfy your need for crunchiness while still getting a bunch of fiber and other vitamins. We just tear up the leaves and toss them in some olive oil and salt. Then back at 400 for about 20 minutes - tossing them after 10 minutes. Yum!

Mary Smith said...

Homemade is normally the healthiest option. They do get a bit gummy in the fridge.

Would you consider sharing this at Tuesdays with a Twist?

http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2013/04/tuesdays-with-twist-1-welcome.html

Anonymous said...

If you buy an olive oil spray (like Pam, but olive oil) you can do this with a lot less oil, and instead of a mandolin (although i LOVE mine) run them though the slicing blade on a food processor if you have one!

Julie said...

okay I have attempted this before but mine weren't as thin as they probably should have been, and so they didn't turn out. I thought maybe I'd have to fry them (and I don't use our fryer at our house for many reasons) but now that you said it can be done in the oven, I may just have to try it again.

Heavenly Bodies said...

Zucchini is also great baked, I have not made chips with them at this point, but I have made fries, yummy.

Brittany SSP said...

I haven't done homemade chips yet, but I recently started doing homemade potato wedges after my MIL made some. They're AWESOME. And surprisingly easy.