Blogging tips

Monday, September 23, 2013

NEW BLOG NAME

I am excited to announce that this blog has a new name (and a few changes in the look). Although, I'll go ahead and note that this new look was just kind of thrown together and I plan on getting a new design with the new year.  I wanted to go ahead and get the change in place before Ornaments for Adoption starts.

This little space on the internet will no longer be known as "Just a Small Town Girl." When I started my blog, I was a small town girl from Alabama. I'd only lived in one town my whole life. The college I went to was only an hour away from home and it was pretty much a small town as well. The name fit me perfectly during that point in my life.


After marriage and a few months after I started this blog, we moved to North Carolina and for the first time in my life I lived in a big city. However, I still felt like "just a small town girl." I wasn't comfortable in this new environment. So, this name worked for me and my blog for a while.

Recently, though, I've begun to notice that I've changed. I've grown and matured since moving away from home and everything I've ever known. Contrary to what people might say, there is a different mindset and culture in a small town than in a bigger city. Don't get me wrong, I love small town life. It's how I grew up and I'm very thankful for it. But, it's not who I am anymore. I'm not JUST a small town girl. 


I am still and forever will be a small town girl. Don't worry, I'm not one to forget my roots. I feel like I've experienced so many new things in the last 3 years between moving to a new place and blogging (reading other people's blogs is similar to visiting new places and meeting new people). I'm so much more now and want my blog name to reflect that.

This decision came on really quick. I only decided a few weeks ago that I was unhappy with my blog name and wanted to change it. I went back and forth about the decision because it's so much work to go through changing everything. I also couldn't decide exactly what I wanted to call my blog. 


I made a list and had narrowed it down to my two favorite choices, but I still wasn't 100% sure. Then one day, I was looking at my "About Me" page and read the quote from Titanic that I used to have there.

I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count. 
-Jack from Titanic

Then, it hit me. MAKE IT COUNT. It was a perfect name for my blog. I LOVE the movie Titanic and the theme of living each day as a gift no matter what life hands you. I'm not going to rewrite all my Titanic thoughts because you can read them here. This is a quote that I claim as my "life quote," so why shouldn't it inspire my blog name.

In order to make sure we're all updated, here are my new links (and some that didn't change):

My blog (I got my own domain!): www.makeitcountblog.com
My Bloglovin': I'm not entirely sure if I can just change my name on Bloglovin' and keep my followers or if I need to start from scratch. Does anyone know about this?
My Twitter: @makeitcountblog
My Instagram: @makeitcountblog
My Facebook: (I changed my URL, but I'm still working on changing the page name. There may be a new Facebook page if this doesn't work out.) www.facebook.com/makeitcountblog
My Google +: Megan Hall
My Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/mdhall88
My Goodreads: Megan Hall

I hope you like the new name and the temporary new look. Have a great week!

20 comments:

Megan said...

This post showed up on my Bloglovin feed under the name Just a Small Town Girl. That probably doesn't help haha...
The new name seems fitting for you, I like it!

Megan said...

Thanks.


Yeah, I still need to get Bloglovin' and Facebook fixed. I'm glad to know my posts still are showing up in Bloglovin'. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to change your name on there. :(

Megan said...

I LOVE the new name! A couple notes: you can change your blog name on Bloglovin, you just can't change the web address. With Facebook, you can change a page name if you have under 200 followers, but for you, I would suggest putting in a request for a name change. You can do this once, and have to have a good reason for the change, but a different blog name should be accepted.

Megan said...

I love the new blog name!!!

Re: the gray header...it's a weird Blogger quirk. You have to go to your Google Photos page (that's what Blogger uses to store images) and turn off the "Auto Enhance" option.

Here's instructions: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/30827-google-plus-disable-the-auto-enhance-feature

Megan said...

As soon as I saw your new blog name I immediately thought of Titanic! It made me so happy that you mentioned it as one of the reasons you picked it :) I love the change and I can't wait to read more!

Megan said...

Yes! That was my inspiration! I love that movie and that quote. I try to claim that quote for my life although I'm not always successful. Maybe having it as my blog name will help me remember. :)

Megan said...

Thanks! And thank you so much for the article on how to fix that weird gray heading. That was easy enough. :)

Megan said...

I can't remember what I sent, but I think I just sent them my new web address. It was back in January though, so my memory's a bit fuzzy

Megan said...

Love the new name, it fits you and your blog content perfectly! Good job :) Also, awesome for adding Disqus, I love using it and commenting on blogs who use it is so much easier.

Megan said...

Yay it's finally letting me comment! I guess it wasn't in the mood before b/c Disqus seems to be blocked at work :|...

Anyways, for bloglovin, always check w/the bl team whether you're set to go. When I changed my name a while ago, I contacted the bl team and they changed the URL for me since I couldn't for some reason. That way I was also sure that it was totally ready to go.

(I spotted this post under your old name on my bl list, btw.) Hope that helps and this is so exciting :)!!

Megan said...

I LOVE the new name!! And I really liked hearing the journey behind your old name to this one. I think it's a perfect fit.


dancingwithashleyblog.com

Megan said...

very fitting, love the new name/look :)

Megan said...

Thanks! I plan on finishing those things up soon.

Megan said...

Thanks! Yeah, I read a little bit on it and it seemed like a good idea. I like how it encourages conversation. However, I don't like how if someone doesn't have a Disqus profile and they don't have their picture and all, you sometimes don't know who they are. Is there a way to see who they are? Like with Blogger comments, I used to click on their name and it could bring up their profile and I could see their blog.

Megan said...

That stinks. I saw your Tweet. :)


I will do that. Changing the name was a lot of work and after dealing with everything else pretty easily, I decided to deal with Bloglovin' and Facebook later. :)

Megan said...

Thanks! I had always liked the name and thought it fit until recently. It was like it just hit me one day and I was dissatisfied with it.

Megan said...

Thank you!

Megan said...

Totally! I don't blame ya.


Changing names on FB is a PAIN!! I like that you changed your Cover, but your website there still shows up as JuastASmall....blogspot..... As a last step, maybe make up some fake paperwork to submit?


Have a great rest of your week, dear!!

Megan said...

I think that fits you great! I am so excited for you!

Megan said...

I was going back and forth between Disqus and IntenseDebate. I liked how you can just respond to the direct comment on your blog post instead of by email {with Disqus}. I don't like though, how you can't find out a person's name or their blog link most of the time, even if they do have an account. Sometimes I just reply back asking for their blog link.