Blogging tips

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

2014 Book Challenges

Happy Wednesday!

I'm sitting at home because there's a possibility of snow and school is cancelled. This brings our total to 5 days of school missed that we have to make up on Saturday-one of the cons of year round school. I need to be productive, but I probably won't be. I made a trip to the grocery store last night to try and buy this edible, safe cookie dough I just found out about (as if I don't eat the kind of cookie dough you're not supposed to eat).


But the store was all out. :(


Sitting on my couch eating cookie dough sounded like the perfect snow day activity. I guess I'll have to settle for catching up on Shark Tank (my newest obsession) and maybe reading a few guilty pleasure romance books (which I'm about to make a trip to the library for).

Last year, I amazed myself by reading 79 books. This year, I am starting out with a goal of 50 (and I'm already behind). I'd love to read more and I'll raise the goal if I meet the 50 book mark before the year is up.

I also started participating in some challenges last year. Some of those I'm carrying over to this year, but I'd really love to challenge myself to complete them this year.

You can keep up with my challenges and read more about how I review books on my Bookshelf page.

Here are the challenges I'd like to complete this year. If they're carrying over from last year, I'm including what I've already done:

Goodreads Challenge: I set a goal to read 50 books. I hope I can raise that amount.


40 Book Challenge: This challenge runs through the school year. I gave this challenge to my students and I'm participating with them. I lack 14 books to completing it. Technically, I have read some of these genres this school year, but they've been children's books. I also have 2 books I'm currently reading that will finish out the biography/autobiography category and get me closer to finishing the informational text category.

Your choice - 10
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Megan's Mate by Nora Roberts
Matched by Ally Condie
Crossed by Ally Condie
Reached by Ally Condie
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Defending Jacob by William Landay
Looking for Alaska by John Green
Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Mythology - 2
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
Poetry Anthology - 1
Biography or Autobiography - 2
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Historical Fiction - 3 
Garden of Stones by Sophie Littlefield
The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott
The Ruby Brooch by Katherine Lowry Logan
Realistic Fiction - 2
The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
Wonder by R.J. Palacio 
Informational Text - 3
Pandora's Lunchbox by Melanie Warner
Mystery - 2
Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
Fairy Tale - 1
A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
Folktale - 2
Tall Tale - 1
Fable - 1
Cultural - 5
And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Graphic Novel - 1
Fantasy - 2
Protector by Joanne Wadsworth
Warrior by Joanne Wadsworth
Science Fiction -1
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Newbery Honor or Winner - 1

50 State Challenge: I saw this challenge being done by other people. Some bloggers host this as a year long challenge, but I didn't link up. I decided to try and complete it in 2 years. I started it last summer, so technically I have another year and a half. However, I'd love to finish it this year. I've read books from 11 different states so far.




View 50 State Challenge in a larger map

  • Alabama- Looking for Alaska by John Green- finished 10/23/13
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Florida Paper Towns by John Green- finished 11/11/13
  • Georgia The Color Purple by Alice Walker- finished 8/18/13
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois Divergent by Veronica Roth- finished 7/21/13
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky The Last MacKlenna by Katherine Lowry Logan- finished 1/17/2014
  • Louisiana Phantom Evil by Heather Graham-finished 6/26/13
  • Maine Megan's Mate by Nora Roberts- finished 8/18/13
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts Defending Jacob by William Landay- finished 10/5/13
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu- finished 11/1/13
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell- finished 9/17/13
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger- finished 7/20/13
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming 

  • Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge: In this challenge, you try to read one book with a title starting with every letter of the alphabet. I just started this challenge, so I'm not very far.
    http://www.escapewithdollycas.com/challenges-2/2014-alphabet-soup-reading-challenge/
    A-
    B-
    C- The City of Fallen Angels- completed 1/27/14
    D-
    E-
    F-
    G-
    H-
    I-
    J-
    K-
    L- The Last MacKlenna -completed 1/17/14
    M-
    N-
    O-
    P-
    Q-
    R-
    S-
    T-
    U-
    V-
    W-
    X-
    Y-
    Z-

    I'm trying to keep it simple this year and very open so I can still read what I want without feeling trapped by my challenges. 

    Are you doing any book challenges this year? Are you challenging yourself to anything else this year?



    1 comment:

    Kelsey said...

    i love the idea of reading so many books! i'm really excited for your book link-up to begin again! such a fun way to get some books read that i wouldn't normally choose! good luck on all your challenges this year, i'd like to pick up the fun 50 states idea and read something new all the time too! ;)