Blogging tips

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Book Review: Rules (A Must Read)

Synopsis:
Twelve-year-old Catherine just wants a normal life. Which is near impossible when you have a brother with autism and a family that revolves around his disability. She's spent years trying to teach David the rules-from "a peach is not a funny-looking apple" to "keep your pants on in public"-in order to stop his embarrassing behaviors. But the summer Catherine meets Jason, a paraplegic boy, and Kristi, the next-door friend she's always wished for, it's her own shocking behavior that turns everything upside down and forces her to ask: What is normal?
 Book description and image via Goodreads

My Review
Last year, I read a book called Wonder which I loved. I loved it so much I named it as one of my top 5 favorite books of the year. This book reminded me a lot of Wonder. Similarly, I think this is a book that everyone should read. Particularly if you have children over the age of 8- READ THIS BOOK TO THEM. I think you should read it to them because you can have some great discussion. I will probably read this aloud to my 4th grade class later in the year. I think it's so important for them to learn to have empathy for others. I also want to reiterate the point I've tried to make all year that people are people no matter how different they may seem. Kids need to hear this message. Kids can be so mean to one another and they need to be reminded that all people have feelings. All people just want to be treated with respect.

I sympathize with the main character, Catherine. When you're 12 years old, all that matters to you is what other people think of you. Her brother is embarrassing to her and her new friend, Jason, is embarrassing to her. Unfortunately, she learns that you can't have the best of both worlds. You can't be kind to those people who are embarrassing to you and keep it a secret. You have to make a choice.

I didn't mean for this review to turn into a preaching session. Basically, I don't have much to say other than read this book. Of course, it is a book geared towards tweens and teens, but I think adults can glean a valuable message from it as well.

I give it an A+

No comments: