Blogging tips

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Dancing with the Stars Week 2 Recap

Happy Wednesday! The week is halfway over! For me, it means I'm back to work.

I see show recap posts often and have never done one because I don't watch that many reality shows. However, I do enjoy watching people dance so Dancing with the Stars is a reality show I've stuck with through the years.

I'm no dancing expert, but I definitely don't mind sharing my thoughts on this show. The past few seasons, they've been trying to make some changes. Since it's still early in the season, I thought I'd share overall pros and cons so far this year as well as something I'd like to see on the show.




Pros:

 -I'm glad they switched the judges back to their original position. I didn't like them being on the other side last season. It just felt wrong.

-Erin Andrews is the new cohost. No offense to Brooke Burke, she seemed like a perfectly nice person, but she was a terrible cohost. She absolutely could not ad-lib and I found her so awkward. I'm SO HAPPY with this change. I'd been hoping for it for years. I personally think Erin has been doing a great job.


-Last season, they also switched the format to only one show a week. In the past, they'd have the competition night and then the results night. The results night always seemed so unnecessary. They'd fill an hour with random performances and commentary. Now, they've done away with all of that and just eliminate someone at the beginning or end of the competition night.

Cons:

-They keep advertising this new "switch" where viewers can vote to switch the partners. I don't feel like this has been fully explained for one thing. For another thing, I think it's unnecessary. Part of the fun of the show is the relationship that is built between the celebrity and dancer. So, I'm not sure how this is going to work.


-I feel like they're trying to create drama this season. They keep playing up some "rivalry" between Candace Cameron Bure and Danica McKellar, Cody Simpson and James Maslow, and Charlie White and Meryl Davis. To me, this isn't the kind of show that needs drama. I just like to watch them dance.

-My biggest complaint with this show has always been that certain dancers always get certain types of celebrities. I know that certain dancers are more popular so they want them to stay on the show longer, but it's not fair.

My Favorite/Least Favorite Dancers:

-An early favorite of mine is Charlie White. Before DWTS, I had only heard his name, but I don't watch figure skating so knew nothing about him. In my opinion, he has a very natural talent for dancing. I have really enjoyed both of his dances so far. He also seems really sweet.


-I'm also rooting for Candace Cameron Bure. She also has a very natural talent for dancing. I also like that she is a Christian who is not afraid to speak out on her faith. Too often Christians are shown in a bad light on TV.


-I was very surprised that Billy Dee Williams was not eliminated. I understand that he is 77 and I applaud him for getting out there and remembering his dance at his age. However, he is painful to watch and will never be able to keep up with the younger competitors. I hope he goes next and doesn't take the spot of someone else who deserves to be there.


-I was a little upset that Diana Nyad was eliminated. I know she just didn't have the fan base since her claim to fame is swimming from Cuba to Florida and she's not necessarily what we'd consider a celebrity. However, she seemed to have a great personality. I would have liked her to stick around a little longer.


-On the other hand, it didn't bother me that Sean Avery was eliminated. He was very forgettable. For me, this show is about more than dancing ability. It's also about the personality and entertainment value and he had neither.


What I'd Like to See on the Show:

-As I mentioned, I don't think the pairing is always fair. I would love to see the stars paired randomly and live on TV. I wish they'd have all the celebrities and all the dancers there. Then, they'd let the celebrities randomly draw the name of their dance partner from a hat. I think that would make for interesting TV.

Do you watch Dancing with the Stars? What are your pros and cons of the season? Who are your favorites and least favorites? Let me know your thoughts.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I don't really watch, (I do every now and then), but I totally agree..a show like this doesn't need drama. That's weird that they're doing that. Candace Cameron looks amazing!

Logan Cantrell said...

I used to watch it but haven't in years. Have you ever seen So You Think You Can Dance on Fox? It's pretty amazing. You'd like it if you enjoy dance. :)

Crystal from My Ramblings said...

I haven't watching in forever, but decided to watch this year because of Candace Cameron Bure. It is going to be interesting to see how they do with the switch up. I'm personally glad they switched to just 1 night... some of these reality competitions can seem to take up so much time with 2 and 3 nights a week.