Blogging tips

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why

When I did my July book review, I forgot to include this book because I read it at the end of the month. That turned out okay, though, because I feel like this book deserves it's own review. 

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


Book Description:

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.


 On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.


My Review:

This is one of the best books I've read this year. First of all, the idea of having someone commit suicide and leave behind tapes to tell their story is haunting. I like how even when the book is finished, we haven't been given the full story. This makes it more realistic to me. In life, we don't always know everything about every situation. I also liked the main character, Clay, and empathized with him right away. I liked how his thoughts were interjected right into Hannah's narrative. This also added to the realness of the story.

*Possible Spoiler* One thing I didn't like was that the tapes were supposed to go to the people who played a vital role in Hannah committing suicide. Yet, she says that Clay didn't really do anything wrong. I liked Clay and he did seem like a good guy, but I think she could have at least blamed him for being nice to her, liking her, yet not trying hard enough to help her. Clay blamed himself for that, so it would have fit. *Possible Spoiler Over*

I read some reviews that didn't like the story because they said Hannah's reasons weren't "good enough" for committing suicide. Obviously, I'm 100% against killing yourself, but who are we to say whether someone's reasons are "good enough." Until we've walked in someone else's shoes, we don't know what things are like for them. People interpret and handle situations differently. That is why some people can go through hard times, persevere, and come out stronger while other people crack under the pressure.

I think this is an important book for teenagers (and adults for that matter) to read because I believe it teaches the lesson that your words and actions matter. Things you may think are insignificant could have a big impact on someone. We never know what other people are going through and how a small unkind word or action could impact them. On the other hand, you never know what a positive impact a kind word or action could have on someone.

Fittingly, the sermon that was preached at my church on Sunday was about our words. It reminded me of this book. One of the verses that was focused on was Proverbs 18:21 which beings "Death and life are in the power of the tongue..." This is so true. Be careful with your words because unlike the playground rhyme we used to say (you know about sticks and stones...) WORDS DO HURT.

I give this book an A. Read it! :)

I thought I'd close with some quotes about kindness I found on Pinterest.




Have you read this book? If so, what did you think? Do you have any thoughts to share on kindness and the power of our words?




1 comment:

Cody Doll said...

I tried reading this book. I couldn't even finish it. I am 100% for life and yup I thought her reasons were stupid. However, I was also a teen when I read it. I understand a tiny bit but I just couldn't finish it.