*Be sure to check out my Bookshelf for more information on my rating system as well as the Book Challenges I'm currently participating in. You can also follow me on Goodreads.*
About a Boy by Nick Hornby
Book Description:
How cool was Will Freeman?'Too cool! At thirty-six, he's as hip as a teenager. He's single, child-free, goes to the right clubs and knows which trainers to wear. He's also found a great way to score with women: attend single parents' groups full of available (and grateful) mothers, all hoping to meet a Nice Guy. Which is how Will meets Marcus, the oldest twelve-year-old on the planet. Marcus is a bit strange: he listens to Joni Mitchell and Mozart, looks after his mum and has never owned a pair of trainers. But Marcus latches on to Will - and won't let go. Can Will teach Marcus how to grow up cool? And can Marcus help Will just to grow up?
Book description and image via Goodreads
My Review:
After reading 2 Nick Hornby books now, I just don't think I'm a fan. This book wasn't bad, but it wasn't really enjoyable for me either. I've never seen the movie based on this book, but I have seen the TV show that recently started coming on NBC. Let's just say, I like the TV show a lot better. It's a lot more upbeat and happy. I guess that's what I went in expecting and that's not what I got. It was a lot more depressing and I didn't find the characters nearly as likeable as I did on the show.
I give it a C.
Enchanter by Joanne Wadsworth
Book Description:
To love and protect...across worlds. On planet Magio war rages between Peacio’s protectors and Dralion’s warriors. Friendships and soul-bonds are forbidden, yet deadly secrets lurk within a high-ranking inner circle. Eighteen-year-old Peacian Silvie Carver’s worst problem is completing finals until her best friend receives forewarning that Silvie is the key to keeping her enemy king from making a decision that will escalate the war. Silvie must save her loved ones’ soul-bonds from being torn apart, and all without revealing her emerging and rare fire skill during the mission. Dralion warrior and enchanter, Guy Moyer, has been fighting his soul’s demand to find his mated one…who also happens to be his enemy. Except Silvie shows up on Dralion’s off-world Australian Outback station and though they renounce their bond, his soul demands he aid and protect her. When Silvie finds herself impersonating a warrior, she’s pulled to the fiery edge of her control as she seeks to influence the king’s decision. Can the mated pair turn the tide of the war and find their place with each other?
Book Review and image via Goodreads
My Review:
I came across this series thanks to the author following me on Twitter. This is the third book in the series. Each book centers on a different couple. Little pieces of the overall story are revealed in each book, but they mainly center around a mated couple. All the stories are very similar and I admit I'm ready to see what's going to happen with the war between the two countries that keeps being alluded to. My favorite in this series is still Warrior, but this one takes the spot of my second favorite (with Protector being my least favorite so far). A brief scene in this book set up the couple for the next book. Overall, I enjoy these. I would recommend to people who like YA fantasy type books.
I give it a B.
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Book Description:
Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen-year-old brother behind bars. Since then, she had been drifting. But when she is contacted by a group who are convinced of Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. Was the voice she heard her brother's? Ben was a misfit in their small town, but was he capable of murder? Are there secrets to uncover at the family farm or is Libby deluding herself because she wants her brother back? She begins to realise that everyone in her family had something to hide that day... especially Ben. Now, twenty-four years later, the truth is going to be even harder to find. Who did massacre the Day family?
Book description and image via Goodreads
My Review:
I liked this one a lot more than Gone Girl. Gillian Flynn has a knack for writing page turners. This book not only switched between narrators, but it also switched between the past and present. I had a hard time putting it down. I was trying so hard to figure out who the murderer was. As the title suggests, it is a dark book and some parts were rather disturbing. They're making this one into a film as well, so I look forward to seeing it.
I give it a B.
One Plus One by Jojo Moyes
Book Description:
Suppose your life sucks. A lot. Your husband has done a vanishing act, your teenage stepson is being bullied and your math whiz daughter has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that you can’t afford to pay for. That’s Jess’s life in a nutshell—until an unexpected knight-in-shining-armor offers to rescue them. Only Jess’s knight turns out to be Geeky Ed, the obnoxious tech millionaire whose vacation home she happens to clean. But Ed has big problems of his own, and driving the dysfunctional family to the Math Olympiad feels like his first unselfish act in ages . . . maybe ever.
Book description and image via Goodreads
My Review:
I have seen Jojo Moyes name around the blogging world for a while now. Everyone seemed to love her books, so I finally got around to reading one and I agree. I really enjoyed this book. It had multiple narrators (which I'm learning is one of my favorite types of books). It had imperfect characters who were relateable and likeable. I will definitely be reading more of her books.
I give it an A.
The One and Only by Emily Giffin
Book Description:
Thirty-three-year-old Shea Rigsby has spent her entire life in Walker, Texas—a small college town that lives and dies by football, a passion she unabashedly shares. Raised alongside her best friend, Lucy, the daughter of Walker’s legendary head coach, Clive Carr, Shea was too devoted to her hometown team to leave. Instead she stayed in Walker for college, even taking a job in the university athletic department after graduation, where she has remained for more than a decade. But when an unexpected tragedy strikes the tight-knit Walker community, Shea’s comfortable world is upended, and she begins to wonder if the life she’s chosen is really enough for her. As she finally gives up her safety net to set out on an unexpected path, Shea discovers unsettling truths about the people and things she has always trusted most—and is forced to confront her deepest desires, fears, and secrets.
Book description and image via Goodreads
My Review:
No...just no. I have enjoyed all of Emily Giffin's previous novels. They were perfect summer/beach/light reading. I did not like this one at all. *The rest of this review may contain potential spoilers. I'll try not to give too much away.* Here were my problems: I never really connected with any of the characters. The hero worship of "Coach" was a bit much. I'm from Alabama where football is also a really big deal and I love football, but all the football talk was TOO much. The eventual love story was hinted at in the beginning and I kind of laughed and said to myself 'you have got to be kidding me...this cannot happen.' Um...yeah...it happened. Creepy! The age isn't what bothered me it was the fact that the man was a father figure in her life and her best friend's father. Lastly, I found the abuse story line just too convenient instead of realistic. I can't end this review without mentioning that I also didn't like how Walker (the small, private college featured in the book) beat my Alabama Crimson Tide in the championship game. Please... She could have at least made it realistic with them beating Auburn. :)
I know this is harsh, but I give it an F.
Have you read any of these books? What are your thoughts?





No comments:
Post a Comment