Blogging tips

Monday, December 3, 2012

OFA: Where You Came From {25 Days Link Up}

Happy Monday! 

December is all about Christmas around here and my 25 Days of Christmas link up has officially started. 

Mondays are also all about adoption around here. What better way to spread Christmas cheer than by helping bring a family together through adoption! If you're new here, you can visit the Ornaments for Adoption tab to find out how you can help. 

**An important Ornaments for Adoption announcement:
I had originally planned to sell ornaments until December 17, but due to some unforeseen circumstances, Wednesday, December 5 is now the last day that you can order an ornament. I will continue to post on adoption each Monday up until December 17 as planned. So, if you want to order an ornament and help the Brock family, it must be done by Wednesday!**

 
Just a Small Town Girl

Today, I am happy to have Dawn sharing with us her experience with adoption.

***

Hi, Just a Small Town Girl's readers, I'm Dawn {big smile}!  If you know me, it's probably from Dawn's Disaster.

 Did you know I also have a Birth Mother's Blog?  I don't change too much on that one, but I needed a place to put my feelings about adoption.  Some place that I thought maybe other people would actually see what I have been through. I plan to keep updating it as time goes on.  Hopefully, someone will find it useful. My biggest "regret" in life is that I don't know my biological parents.  I was adopted from South Korea when I was only 5 months old.  There have been times I wish I knew who they were; to have some type of closure, but in reality it doesn't matter.  Trust me, I have questioned every motive, every reason, every possible scenario as to why my biological parents chose to place me for adoption (um, even including Alien Abduction).  None of the answers are "ok" with me. You see, South Korea in 1980 was a very different time than U.S.A. 2001.  Asian countries, as a generalization, are a much more shame-based type of people.  They rely on the ability to "shame" one into doing just about everything.  Having the rationale for my adoption being: 1) my parents were shamed into letting me go, 2) my mother being forced to relinquish me because she was unwed, 3) I went away because there were too many other children in the home, 4) I was a girl, or 5) some other unknown reason that isn't on my list.  I don't like 1-4, so most of my life I have tried to think it was option 5.  Yes, I am almost positive that it was any number of 1-4, but it's just so different from how I was raised.

Why did I choose to have an open adoption versus a closed one?  When I became pregnant at 19, it only took a few moments for me to KNOW I was going to place her for adoption.  The thing is, I wanted her to know where she came from.  I wanted her to know that she was placed for adoption and she was adopted because she was loved, not for any other reason.  While I don't have a full family history to help her out, I want to give her as much information as I can.  I want her to know that she gets being allergic to the cold and her not-quite-perfect eye sight from me. So, what does OPEN ADOPTION mean to you?  Stop by my Birth Mother's Blog sometime and let me know!
Thank you, Megan, for letting me post about this passion of mine!


You can link up your Christmas related post also. 

 This link up only has ONE rule: 
1. Please link back to my blog in your post. 

Just a Small Town Girl

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Excited to link up today!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Dawn's story is sad. :(