Blogging tips

Saturday, December 15, 2012

When Christmas isn't Merry {25 Days Link Up}

I have been doing fun, upbeat Christmas related post for the past 14 days.

Today, I can't bring myself to post one of those fun, upbeat posts. I can't ignore what happened yesterday.

I don't have many words, but I think I should at least post a little something.

As a teacher, school shootings have always scared me. I never really heard about them happening in elementary schools until yesterday. It's always hard not to get wrapped up in thinking-what would I have done?

I can't imagine what this community and these families are going through. I know how traumatized the students at my school were by a tornado that went through their neighborhoods the spring before I started working there. These poor students in Connecticut will be haunted by this day for years. 

Those poor families are in my prayers as Christmas will never be the same for them again. Yes, those children had their whole life ahead of them, but so did those adults. No person, no matter how young or old, deserves to have their life taken from them too soon.

On a similar note, people will begin to attack the gunman. They will begin to question what could drive a person to do this. They will be looking for a place to lay blame. They will make hateful statements about him. I don't think that's the right way to go about things. Even though what he did was a tragic thing and there's no excuse for taking another's life, he was a human being. He has people who love him too. 

Instead of focusing our energy into hate, focus it on loving and helping those affected by this tragedy. 
This post is already listing ways that you can get involved.

Use this as an opportunity to remember that Christmas is not an easy time for everyone. For many people, this is a painful time of year. Maybe they lost a loved one this year who won't be with them this Christmas. Maybe they've battled infertility or miscarriage or stillbirths and they remember the child that should be with them this Christmas. Maybe they've recently divorced and their family does not feel whole this Christmas. Maybe it's been a tough year financially and they can't afford presents for their children. Whatever the reason, people are hurting.

I'd like to challenge you to reach out to those you may know who will have a difficult time this Christmas season. You can't take their pain away, but you can let them know that you care and you're there for them. 

I've read many people's post in the past several hours on the subject of the Connecticut tragedy. The words that really stuck out to me came from Kim at The K.O. Jewelry. She ended her post with the same words I'm going to end my post with. 
  We all need to learn to love more.

If you'd like to link up your Christmas related post, I simply ask that you link back to my blog.


1 comment:

Janna Renee said...

This is a great reminder and every bit of it is so true. Many people in my family are teachers and I worry about them and things like this. Thank you for being a teacher and my heart goes out to the families in Connecticut.