Blogging tips

Monday, December 10, 2012

OFA: Books {25 Days Link Up}

Well, I am officially done selling ornaments. I had to cut the selling time short for some personal reasons, but I will continue to post about adoption this week and next week {you definitely want to be back for next week}. 

I look forward to posting in January and giving you the total. I greatly appreciate everyone's support throughout this experience and I'm already planning how to make it bigger and better next year.

I will continue to keep up the Ornaments for Adoption page where you can find all the posts from the whole time.

Today, I want to tell you about 2 great adoption related books I've recently read. These would make great Christmas gifts.

The first one is called Orphanology. Lee recommended this book because one of the authors is a professor of his at the seminary.
 Orphanology: Awakening to Gospel-Centered Adoption and Orphan Care

This book gives a lot of stories from people who either have experience in adoption or orphan care, including personal experiences from the authors themselves.

The book gives a brief description of how God's adoption of Christians is similar to adopting children. It also gives you an idea of the state of orphans around the world. Then, the book goes on to explain why Christians should be concerned with orphan care. The last several chapters give practical advice on how individuals, families, and churches can be involved in caring for orphans.

You don't have to adopt to help the fatherless. Adoption is just one way to help. All children in need are not even necessarily adoptable. The number of orphaned children is staggering. We all need to play a part in helping them.  

I love how this book gives very practical advice. I also love the personal stories that are shared.

The next book is Adopted for Life.


Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families & Churches

I'll admit this book is a bit of a hard read. The chapters are long and it goes more into the theology of adoption. It's worth it, though. I learned so much about my own Christianity from this book. 

This author shares some of his own experience with adoption and also really delves into what it means to be adopted into God's family. He also shares how adoption and orphan care can be a great picture of the Gospel to the world.

I love Russell Moore's blunt honesty in this book. He doesn't hold back.

Now, it's your turn to link up and share your Christmas related post.
(Even if it's only slightly related like mine.)
This link up only has ONE rule:
1. Please link back to my post.
(You can use the button in the side bar if you'd like.)



1 comment:

Ashley said...

Did you ever see What to Expect when you're Expecting? The adoption scene in that movie is just about one of my favorite scenes of all time.